• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma - flat rental vs hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done all before but these days prefer the hotel option. Food is there if you can't be a***d to go out, room made up and all cleaning done. If you take time off you have zero costs. You can leave at a moments notice not tied into a 6 month contract or 1/2 month notice period. There's also no deposit faffing around or leaving procedure (must clean every crevice).

I need to work Bristol soon and so far not having any look finding a hotel with availability for a decent price so may have to try another option like a Mond-Fri flatshare.

I got caught out in London last year where a 3 month contract likely to be 6 ended up being only a 3 monther so was 4months x £1600+ bills out of pocket - couldn't find another contract in London either!!! Was just unlucky but typical the most expensive flat I've rented with bad contractor market immediately post Brexit.

Comment

Monday to Friday dot com - find a nice place that you can leave your things over the weekend too.

Last one I did was walking distance to the office, had a cleaner who came in every week (paid her £5 a week extra to iron my shirts), and was lovely. And much cheaper than a hotel or renting my own place.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Try https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

It's aimed at people looking for lodgers (which might be a good option for you) but there are also loads of properties that are rented out as single rooms in a larger property, with all bills included. I did that for over a year, but in Barrow, not London.

The advanced search is good and you can search by commute time to a tube station or on a particular line. A quick seach finds this for less than £200 per week with all bills included.

That's right near canary warf, I'm sure you could fund somewhere a lot cheaper if you don't mind a 20-30 min commute.

Comment

If you are lucky using that site to be a lodger you can find someone who works away or someone who works nights.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hotels you get your VAT back if you're not on a flat rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Hotels you get your VAT back if you're not on a flat rate.
              Yep, and this is well worth considering in your calcs. Often, once you take off the VAT element on a hotel you find that your average AirBnB etc isn't actually THAT much cheaper - especially in London.

Comment

Working...
              X