• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Critical Illness and life cover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    WIB is right there. I'm pretty much in the same situation. 2 kids, ages 1 and 3. Wife doesn't work, but is studying open university so she can go back

I recently sorted all this out and got £500k life cover. I also got a critical illness/life policy for £100k, so I wouldn't have to worry about work if I was diagnosed with something that's covered, or my wife would have the extra £100k otherwise. I pay a little over £50 a month in total.
    Thanks, to be honest I was getting a lost with all the options... This helps provide some kind of context!

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
      Thank you so much I really appreciate that response. I'm just about 2 months into my first contract after being a permie for 10+ years and had never given this much thought before. You've really put it into perspective for me!
      Good! Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        Good advice
        Now isn't this better than telling people to use google or speak to their insurer?
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

WIB is right there. I'm pretty much in the same situation. 2 kids, ages 1 and 3. Wife doesn't work, but is studying open university so she can go back

I recently sorted all this out and got £500k life cover. I also got a critical illness/life policy for £100k, so I wouldn't have to worry about work if I was diagnosed with something that's covered, or my wife would have the extra £100k otherwise. I pay a little over £50 a month in total.
          Who did you get it with if you don't mind me asking? Just sorting a mortgage and the broker is pushing LI/CI at me, want to ensure I'm getting best deal I can..

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
            Who did you get it with if you don't mind me asking? Just sorting a mortgage and the broker is pushing LI/CI at me, want to ensure I'm getting best deal I can..
            I got it through a broker. Both policies are with vitality.

Comment

I got it through a broker. Both policies are with vitality.
              Are both of these being paid by the company or personally? Very interested myself. Thanks.

Comment

If you can get the same rate in a relevant life policy, definitely do the life cover through the company, that is much more tax efficient.

If you want to take the risk of doing the critical illness as a relevant life policy, the same applies. But there is indeed a risk that this will end up being ruled invalid at some point, critical illness within a RLP is an innovation that has not caught on widely and is controversial.

If you do the critical illness outside the RLP, there may be a small tax efficiency in doing it through the company, as a benefit in kind. The maths for this depends (in part) on whether or not you use the employment allowance and pay yourself a salary up to the personal allowance, or only use a salary of £8K.

I run both, and private medical insurance, through the company. Saves on corporation tax, incurs employer NI for benefit in kind on the non-RLP insurance.
                Last edited by WordIsBond; 10 June 2017, 09:27.

Comment

I remember a thread like this a few years ago and the gist for calculating the premium was to make sure that the figure would keep your dependants comfortable but not go putting ideas into their heads!

Comment

My joint CI and Life Cover policy costs me £150 per month for £200k cover over 25 years, taking me up to mid 60s.

My kids are a bit older and are just starting secondary school, and so I am also planning to take out some relevant life cover in addition - £200k for 20 years is around £50 per month for me and the wife each, which through the company will come to ~£40 per month.

I may then reduce my CI/Life Cover to around £100-50k depending on the numbers, which my IFA is to provide.
                    Last edited by kaiser78; 2 July 2017, 20:38.

Comment

I need to look at this again. I have life insurance policy in place, but am looking at Income Protection in case something happens that doesn't kill me, but I'm incapacitated.

I got a quote earlier in the year, paying out £4,000 per month, which cost £120 per month.

As has been mentioned, I was planning to go for something like this to start with, and then review it in a few years after building up additional savings.

Comment

Working...
                      X