• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

going direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going direct

OK, another in the long line of "going direct" questions. Looking to get the thoughts of the panel.

I am currently engaged with a client via two agencies. My contract with agency A is actualy for provision of service to agency B, rather than the client. The client takes my services from agency B.

The client intends to do away with agency B. Thats their business. So, I would like to do away with agency A and go direct. I dont see why not? Im also closing my ltd and starting another, so it will be a different end co providing the service. And I never opted out!

Is there anything my agency A can do? Theres nothing in the contract that I can see that mentions the client (only agency B). But anyway, if the contract is with my old company, surely the new company can do what it likes?

It would mean an extra 75 quid a day to me.

Originally posted by pickle
    OK, another in the long line of "going direct" questions. Looking to get the thoughts of the panel.

I am currently engaged with a client via two agencies. My contract with agency A is actualy for provision of service to agency B, rather than the client. The client takes my services from agency B.

The client intends to do away with agency B. Thats their business. So, I would like to do away with agency A and go direct. I dont see why not? Im also closing my ltd and starting another, so it will be a different end co providing the service. And I never opted out!

Is there anything my agency A can do? Theres nothing in the contract that I can see that mentions the client (only agency B). But anyway, if the contract is with my old company, surely the new company can do what it likes?

It would mean an extra 75 quid a day to me.

But it would probably also mean payment terms of 30-90 days instead of a week, and debt chasing yourself. You would probably also need further insurances as well. Don't just look at the headline rate do the full sums.

However going direct is the smartest decision you'll ever make

Comment

If I remember correctly there is still an 8 week restrictive clause allowed in Opted In contracts. You will probably find there is more importantly a restrictive clause of 12 months between the end client and Agency B which will cover the rehiring of you. It may well not be a legal contract but in practical terms and speaking from experience if you try breaking free from the agency ( and in your case 2 agencies taking a cut ) then all hell will break loose and the client quickly gets fed up when the phone is hot. I would say to pull it off the client would have to be the one driving the situation and be prepared to play hard ball with squeeling agents. I fired up a former boss of mine to take on the agents but he bottled it pretty quickly !

Comment

Or make sure that neither agency ever finds out
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X