• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract advise & guidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qscontractor View Post
    Hello All,

I do really appreciate your advise. Taking your time out on this means an awful lot - virtual pint on me!

Anyhow. Got my first contractor interview with a council.

1. How should this be any different from a normal company interview? I believe I'm meeting a project manager or someone who has no knowledge of IT
    2. It's in a council how should I approach IR35? I will be moving to the area and much will be spent on rent, during the weekends I'll be coming back home (not sure if it's worth it, if they deem the contract inside IR35 as large chunk will go on rent)
    3. I haven't setup my LTD yet should I do this now or after I get the contract?
    4. Will the council pay weekly for the first month to make life easier on the move? (Else can someone loan against an invoice I have bad credit)

Huge concern I'll spend about 2k moving to the location say I start on Monday & what if they suspend the contract after it being signed by both parties?

Lastly any tips securing my first contract at interview would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Surely the sensible response should be as follows (as well as adviCe);
    1. It should not be any different to a 'normal' company interview - you haven't said what sort of role you are going for so cannot comment on the PM interviewing you aspect.

But how do you know they have no knowledge of IT ?

2. You need to read up on IR35 as there are some tax impacting public sector contract changes happening at the moment, but assume if in PS you need to factor in IR35

3. Probably best to go umbrella to start with as you sound pretty green - other than ltd company, you also need to consider business bank account, VAT (FRS or normal) etc to start with.

4. Presume you have contract via an agency and so you will be bound by their payment terms unfortunately.

2K sounds like a pretty big move - are there no contract opportunities nearer to you. And/or do you have funds to fall back on if this goes horribly wrong ? Make sure you consider this.

Lastly any tips securing my first contract at interview would be highly appreciated - read up on interview techniques and then read some more. They key is to make yourself stand out from the competition and factor in that you may be up against those who have contracting experience, ahead of you.
    Last edited by kaiser78; 24 March 2017, 16:00.

Comment

Working...
    X