• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contractor.. where did all the jobs go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure I'd recommend going contracting in a niche product-based role such as SharePoint even if the market was good. You're unlikely to pick up any new primary skills, and if/when SharePoint dies you'll be left with nothing.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Moss View Post
      Hi,

I'd add (or reiterate) - assume a high percentage of agents are just fishing for CVs and have no real job to offer, assume some more have unconfirmed jobs they are looking for candidates for (client has told them to start gathering CVs for a role that still needs authorisation), and assume a few may potentially be chancing their arm to get candidates for positions which the client has not engaged them for...

I'd recommend definitely expanding your search location (for the last 8 years I've rented flats to follow roles), be flexible on skills/role, and don't submit to the first agency you see advertise a role - ofter a few will advertise the same role within a day - pick the one you like the look of, and phone agents directly after submitting your CV (which it sounds like you are doing to be fair) - you can learn a lot more about the role, gauge the validity of it and give the agent a chance to remember you by a few minutes chat on the phone..

That being said - just keep applying - stick with it. Don't take any rejection personally - they just found a better fit - for whatever reason. Contracts can be like buses...
      Yes, even the Indian-based agencies have stopped calling, which is usually a very bad sign. The market is dead. Even the decent agents tell me they "are expecting the client to release new roles next week" which is their codeword for "we have no contracts and no idea when they are coming". Not sure how things are in the premie-land, but going into contracting now you'll need patience and financial resources to last you at least 3-6 months, maybe 12.
      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
        Yes, even the Indian-based agencies have stopped calling, which is usually a very bad sign. The market is dead. Even the decent agents tell me they "are expecting the client to release new roles next week" which is their codeword for "we have no contracts and no idea when they are coming". Not sure how things are in the premie-land, but going into contracting now you'll need patience and financial resources to last you at least 3-6 months, maybe 12.
        This could be said for the market in general since its year end and most companies are probably not sure of the IT budgets. It might be a month before the market picks up and frankly if you are a permie, it is best to wait a couple of months before taking the plunge.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
          Just wait until Q4 this year when global standards at hsbc comes to an end. Thats 5000 contractors dumped and looking for work.

Cream always floats to the top, but 4900 will be jobless and looking for the high rates that they have become accustom to.

2017 is the year the contracting market becomes only for the best, or those with an excellent network.
          Which programmes/ projects of work are covered by this? This sounds like they would have to can whole floors of people

Comment

Totally agree with you my friend

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Fair comments in general.

Contracting isn't easy and certainly isn't for those who crave stability.

Since I started contracting 8 years ago, I've spent about five years in total away from home (not counting weekends). If you've not got a warchest to start with, you've got to go where the work takes you. If there are no gigs in your area, you either sit on the bench and wait or go where the work takes you. If you've got a partner who's on a good wage, you can be more fussy about when and where you work. If you've not got kids and/or mortgage, you again have the luxury of that.

I made the choice to go contracting rather than attempting to climb the corporate ladder. Do I regret it? At times. Do I miss the permie lifestyle of reviews, huggy-feely sessions, team-building, tedium, etc.? No. Do I miss the buzz of promotions and bonuses, the free training, not having to find a new gig, not living out of a suitcase a few days a week and the comfort blanket that a five-figure redundancy cheque? Of course. But similarly I enjoy the variety of work that I've experienced in the last 8 years. I've been fortunate enough to only have had about 8 months off in total (bench/sick/other unavailability). While I've not got a huge warchest, I can afford 5-6 months out without too much hassle factor but I've also enjoyed things - I've owned a Porsche, a Merc and a Jag, and we've had some great holidays, while I've been able to provide my children with everything they've needed to get through college and university.

When will I retire from contracting? Probably when my wife and I agree the time is right, roughly 15-20 years from now once the pension pot is full enough to pick and choose contracts or start a new adventure together.

Would I go back perm? Probably, but it would take one heck of an offer in terms of role, package and prospects.

The choices to stay contracting, go perm, leave perm are very personal; it's not a one size fits all call for someone on a forum to make. Others believe they've made a mistake and want help putting it right rather than being told that they've already been the fool they know they have been. Kudos to the latter for wanting to rectify the mistake rather than deny its occurrence.

Many people come on hear and ask questions in hope of hearing the answers that they want to, taking umbridge when those answers aren't forthcoming. Others come on to hear the pros and cons of contracting and there are many of each. There are also many pros and cons to permanent jobs and I'd never seek to dissuade an individual from either route; a person is judged on their choices and they are simply seeking advice.

As experienced contractors, we have a breadth of knowledge and the one thing we must have realised by now is that not every sector is the same, not every type of role is the same; but the one thing that underpins all contracting is the uncertainty of it. You could be walked tomorrow with no recompense beyond the signed off timesheets for the days that you've completed; less than that if you're unfortunate. This isn't an easy life of pots of gold; there are no employment benefits.

Ultimately, we are microconsultancies; little businesses doing our best to make a profit each year in a challenging, uncertain, changing environment. Contracting isn't just a choice, it's a mindset and if you cannot handle uncertainty and change, contracting probably isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by shamoon View Post
              Which programmes/ projects of work are covered by this? This sounds like they would have to can whole floors of people
              Have you contracted at an IB recently?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm in the same situation as the OP looking for my first contract, albeit 6 months later.

I got the first one I applied to. Was inspired to join the contracting industry by the numbers of less skilled contractors I worked with in my last permie role

OPs problem may be regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Smackdown View Post
                  I'm in the same situation as the OP looking for my first contract, albeit 6 months later.

I got the first one I applied to. Was inspired to join the contracting industry by the numbers of less skilled contractors I worked with in my last permie role

OPs problem may be regional.
                  Exactly what happened to me 5 or so months ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X