• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract prolonging tacticts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract prolonging tacticts

So I'm on this contract. Nothing to do, way ahead of everybody. Reading browsing.
    The problem is the camera is behind my back facing monitors and they've proved they are looking at it. I'm out of ideas how to stall this contract further. Everyone seems to be working, can't be caught on anything but code, but they are sooooooo SLOW.
    1. browse and risk getting caught and sacked
    2. deliver 6 months in 2 months and lose billable days (which I don't want, it's close to my home and rate is good)?

Any ideas?

If you've done the work move on. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable and probably making yourself miserable in the meantime. Agree with your client you can handover with shirt notice and look for another gig, find it hand over and leave ignoring the notice period.

Double bonus as in the future you'll get call when they need you again because they just sacked some time wasting idiot trying to keep the contract running for no reason.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      If you've done the work move on. All you are doing is delaying the inevitable and probably making yourself miserable in the meantime. Agree with your client you can handover with shirt notice and look for another gig, find it hand over and leave ignoring the notice period.

In the future wait for the call when they need you again because they just sacked some time wasting idiot trying to keep the contract running for no reason.
      Sounds like great idea
      Let me just bin that £££££ because I'm slightly bored.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        So I'm on this contract. Nothing to do, way ahead of everybody.
        Don't worry, the fries will be finished cooking soon .

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Sounds like great idea
          And then try to explain to an agent why I only have 2 months on that gig and whats wrong with me...

Comment

Sounds like great idea
            Judging by that dumb response you weren't after any meaningful advice and we're just trolling then.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              ....and I was just trolling then.
              FTFY

Nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                FTFY

Nothing new.
                Not really, NLUK is actually making a valid point this time; it's not like encouraging PS contractors to leave and find private sector contracts that simply don't exist.

If the OP likes the gig and hasn't already proved to anybody that he's done the code, he could easily print it off and type it all out from scratch again to prolong the gig. That said, with cameras on him, he's sounding like he's close to IR35 given the micromanagement they appear to be doing.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Not really, NLUK is actually making a valid point this time; it's not like encouraging PS contractors to leave and find private sector contracts that simply don't exist.

If the OP likes the gig and hasn't already proved to anybody that he's done the code, he could easily print it off and type it all out from scratch again to prolong the gig. That said, with cameras on him, he's sounding like he's close to IR35 given the micromanagement they appear to be doing.
                  Mr NLUK, read again the title, it should tell you what I'm after
                  Option leave the gig is not really a valid option because
                  A) I need cash
                  B) I need lenghtly contracts in my CV.
                  C) They have other 6months proj coming after this. And I want to pocket their both budgets.

Now how do I NOT get sacked for browsing, I'd be interested if anyone had stories about wasting time at clients or simply it doesn't commonly happen and clients are OK with it as long as deliverables are ..delivered?

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
                    FTFY

Nothing new.
                    The irony is killing me....

Comment

Working...
                    X