• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In the USA - trying to get back and contract !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the USA - trying to get back and contract !

Hi all.

I'm currently living and working in the USA.

I've been out of the UK for a couple of years but I now feel like coming back.

I reckon I have have 2 choices.

1. Return to the UK on spec with enough cash to carry me for a couple of months and try and land a gig once I arrive.

2. Try and get something organised from over here and fly back to start it.

Obviously the latter is the more preferable. The former would need a fair amount of cash as I need to cover accomodation etc.

The problem is that you never see UK jobs advertised over here. Being so far away it's difficult to know where to start.

Any idea what my chances are of this working out successfully ?.

Anyone got any experience of doing a move back recently ?.

BTW I have fairly marketable skills (J2EE etc).

Thanks.

Just hit the UK jobsites with your CV with a letter explaining that you are wanting to move back to the UK and I can
    't see any issues. Some agents may give you the "we need to see you face to face" but you can stop that until you have an offer from them and a plane hop to sort the rest.

Comment

If you've got access to the inernet why not just look on jobserve/jobsite/cwjobs and the jobs page on this site?
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

I guess the real question I have is how easy it would be to get a contract from 5000 miles away and without having to do a face to face first.

Obviously distance precludes flying back that often for interviews !.

In the USA it's very unusual to be offered a contract without meeting face to face first. Because of the distances involved and the cost of travel it generally means that you end up having to move to an area first before embarking on any job hunting.

Anyway I'll contact some of the agencies on this board, and see what response I get.

Comment

one dollar = UK 52p

Ouch m8. Option 1 will hurt a bit at the moment.

2c
          or should I say . . .
          1p
          jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by cicsman
            I guess the real question I have is how easy it would be to get a contract from 5000 miles away and without having to do a face to face first.

Obviously distance precludes flying back that often for interviews !.

In the USA it's very unusual to be offered a contract without meeting face to face first. Because of the distances involved and the cost of travel it generally means that you end up having to move to an area first before embarking on any job hunting.

Anyway I'll contact some of the agencies on this board, and see what response I get.
            I have managed to line up work in Oz while in the UK and vice versa, if you are in demand and you can convince them you'll turn up its feasible. I did once lose a contract while in mid air !

Comment

Working...
            X