• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance you can arrange for a few weeks off mid contract and then come back? WFH for a bit maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Any chance you can arrange for a few weeks off mid contract and then come back? WFH for a bit maybe?
      Or supply a substitute?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Riiiiight. Agent being happy to lose 4 weeks commission and to be on a contractors side when their client is going off on one. Pull the other one.

Just sticks his notice in and forget whatever.
        We can only go off what the OP has said. If I've got the agent on side, I'd let them negotiate with the client.

That said, OP, have you told the client you want to leave or has your agent?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
          Or supply a substitute?
          This! Offer a substitute for the remainder of the contract. If the client refuses then they are in breach of contract and you can walk

*Assuming the substitution clause is in your contract

Comment

Originally posted by iank View Post
            Could someone please offer advice. A couple of weeks ago following very bad family news I decided I needed to stop my two hour commute (each way). So I handed in my notice. My neice is terminally ill and likely to die in the next couple of weeks. I told my boss i wanted to do a proper handover but that given circumstances I would appreciate it if I could finish my contract before the contractual 4 weeks. He has said no basically. Any advice? This is my first contract and I'm not sure where I stand. Thank you.
            Sorry to hear your news.

Tell the client that you are taking four weeks' leave. Then give four weeks' notice.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              We can only go off what the OP has said. If I've got the agent on side, I'd let them negotiate with the client.

That said, OP, have you told the client you want to leave or has your agent?
              Well he put

I told my boss i wanted to do a proper handover but that given circumstances I would appreciate it if I could finish my contract before the contractual 4 weeks
              so do you mean did his agent make the first contact or did the OP hand his notice in to the client.

If the agent was on board he would have taken what the OP wants and dealt with it as that's who the contract is with. Doesn't matter if the client wants his pound of flesh. That's between the client and agent. If it's a problem I'd say the agent isn't being as supportive as they could be.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Go down the routes people have suggested - ie break, substitution where appropriate. That way you can show you've made every attempt at being reasonable.

Has the client directly told you "no" or has the agent *told* you the client has said "no". There's generally a difference. A big difference.

After it all, name and shame the manager and client. I do like having names to pass on when agencies want "two references up front"...

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
                  This! Offer a substitute for the remainder of the contract. If the client refuses then they are in breach of contract and you can walk

*Assuming the substitution clause is in your contract
                  And it's unfettered. Being his first contract it could be a safe bet he hasn't had the contract checked so we don't know.

I don't think this would consitute a breach where he could walk as I don't think it's a material breach.

What it would do however is prove his RoS is a sham which could cause trouble further down the line.

Look at the HMRC position in this article.

1st Advice – Substitution

Remember the substitute must be provided at the cost of the contractor including searching for the candidate, getting them on site and training them up for the handover. It's just not worth it.

Normally I'd agree about going through the different processes to do it properly but in the OP's case? F that. If I had a terminally ill family member you wouldn't see me for dust. I think this most definitely falls under PC's 'Look after yourself' line.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 15 December 2016, 15:14.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Firstly, sorry to hear about your niece.

If this isn't exceptional circumstances I don't know what is. Do what you can to work with the client and agent and perform a handover but ultimately family comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Firstly, sorry to hear about your niece.

If this isn't exceptional circumstances I don't know what is. Do what you can to work with the client and agent and perform a handover but ultimately family comes first.

Thanks to everyone who has responded with suggestions.
                      I have already handed in my notice. When I did that, I asked for flexibility and have been told the client will not be flexible. I've spent this week handing over my work to a couple of colleagues. I've got until the 6th January according to my contractual notice. I'm keeping my head down trying to get on with things. The agency is telling me that they are looking into the legal aspect of my being 'off sick' whilst on my notice period so that if I tell them I am unfit to work due to my family circumstances, there are no legal consequences. Ideally I would like to end the contract next Friday. The client has already imposed a week's leave after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X