• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting on a limited outside UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you are describing is called a Controlled Foreign Company:

1. Read this https://www.gov.uk/guidance/controll...ny-an-overview
    2. Get an international tax advisor.
    3. Make sure you make enough money for 2. to be worth paying for.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by davlesstax View Post
      Hello,

I agree for income tax, but the limited company is not a person. I am liable for UK tax although not earning a penny in the UK, but to me the company does not have to be UK based.

The link is for me and not for the company that I work for.

David
      Basically, a one-man company moves with the person and this is a general EU concept - you will be taxed personally and corporately on both domicile and residency, subject to DTA and whichever is the higher.

Either read like fook on this or get speciallst advice, don't ask on a forum. I know the tax rules for Denmark, and it's very difficult to use a non-DK limited here, though it is possible, but you can't wing it, the Gov knows everything here about you via your NemID that you are obligated to have if you work here, both personally and for company.

Take no chances.

Comment

One question that will come into it is where the company is tax resident.

From your description i think that is likely to be the uk.

You will also find it difficult doing business through that. Lot of countries wont deal with it. Especially if you are present on site rather than providing the services remotely.

Certain countries, Portugal for example, now have withholding taxes on locally provided services. There may be others now.

The cost of proper advice for your circumstances etc would likely outweigh any savings. Though if you arw prepared and able to hold the funds in the entity for ever it can be easier.

The problem isnt so much getting the funds in there with limited taxation. It is getting them to the benefit of the participators without suffereing further taxation.

Personally i spent more than a decade nomadically working on the mainland. All just billed through uk company after a lot of resarch and a wish to sleep reasonably well.

Even so i was probably at some risk from most of the counties i worked in.

Comment

Norway

If you charge by the hour or the day, then the 183-day rule does not apply in Norway. You will be considered "hired labour". You can either register your limited in Norway or use an umbrella. If you only work a few days at the time, then an umbrella solution is the easiest by far. And your taxes would likely be quite low also.
          Some umbrellas offer to pay you low wages and the rest as payments to your limited. I don't recommend it. All income has to be declared (or broken down) in Norway, or you may get a surprise tax bill many years down the lane.
          You can find some information and calculators here: ww w.contractorpayroll.no - Contractor Payroll Norway or from the tax authorities w ww.taxnorway.no - Skatteetaten - Taxnorway.no.

Make sure that whichever agency you use, is familiar with Norwegian expat payroll and assist with your personal tax return.

Good luck :-)

Comment

Working...
          X