• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

48hrs notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomS View Post
    Hi

I have been contracting in the financial services sector for a while but for the first time I came across a contract where the notice period is 48hrs only.

I am not sure whether it is worth me committing to this contract given that the agency can withdraw after signing and before I actually start working. Is such a short notice period normal in the FS sector?

Tom
    That's two days more money than you'll probably get in reality. If the notice period is reciprocal, it sounds great. To be able to leave a bad contract at the drop of a hat or to finish up quickly if need be to move on can be a good thing. If they're risking a bad handover by let you go so quickly, that's a risk they're prepared to take on.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      The thing is Tom, if they want to get rid of you, they will get rid of you no matter what the notice period. If you have a one month notice period, they can usually give you a month's notice to terminate the contract and then advise that no work is available and no work = no invoice. I see the contract period as a wrapper within which work may be undertaken. Others may disagree and say that a longer notice period gives you more protection. Others may have a view that a very short notice period is good for IR35 as it suggests a lack of mutuality of obligation.

Almost all contracts can be withdrawn before work starts.

I don't have FS experience but I'm not sure the sector is relevant. Take the contract if it's otherwise good, but as always, keep looking until the day you invoice.
      +1

Comment

Working...
      X