• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a Foot in the Door

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=SueEllen;2323178]You are applying to the wrong companies and since you aren't a new graduate you are going to have to do the leg work yourself rather than relying on agencies. Agents tend to only put people in the same role as they had before.

There are a lot of SMEs out there who you probably could convince to give you a role to start off with. However it is up to you to find them by seeking them out and networking. Then once you have some experience you can apply directly to large companies and they will be interested in you, and suddenly with more experience agents will be as well.

Also be prepared to move to a different part of the country. I know people in loads of different areas who have had to work outside London to start their career.

I like this. I am often stunned at how unadventurous some people are in that they expect to find everything on their doorstep. NOT saying this is the OPs problem by the way. Sometimes you just have to go where the work is. Not always easy by any means but you sometimes have to make sacrifices to get anywhere. I am a London based contractor but I'll pack my bags for the right opportunity! Good luck, poster.

Comment

Working...
    X