• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start up agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I thought we were all family.

Thanks all for opinions, I will be ensuring head rules heart.

Comment

Are you an IPSE member? thought they provided some cover, only accept weekly terms with payment in 7 days. Can you arrange to go direct if the agency goes bust? If you have nothing else to walk into does it really matter if you lose a weeks money as opposed to being on the bench?

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
        And I thought we were all family.

Thanks all for opinions, I will be ensuring head rules heart.
        Oh we are, just a very dysfunctional and a little strange one.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
          All

I've been offered an interview for what on the face of it would appear to be a nice challenging role in the smoke. Day rate is decent but not huge. The agent appears knowledgeable and is personable.

Looking at the agency itself, it would appear to be a 1 man band plus employee located in an office share. No website and not a member of REC. I've looked over the abbreviated accounts for the 6 years the company has existed and must assume that salary is taken as no dividends shown, tax liability is small or nil. Apart from one year cash in bank is not much more than my monthly outgoings. There is an outstanding debenture to a factoring company starting 2011.

Now I'm not stupid, this all means hand to mouth existence, and a real risk that the company goes pop. I'm not yet aware of whether this might be monthly or weekly invoicing so worse case scenario I could be balls deep for 2 months invoices plus train expenses and accommodation.

I have alternative irons in fire which will mean WFH or expensed outings, however this role would be a significant enhancer. I could also be thinking that I have the interview as no one else would be stupid to work through them.

Thoughts?
          It will probably be a single man recruiter company who'll run you through a larger agency. I'm with something similar at the moment where the recruiter is a different company to the agency who I have the contract with.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            It will probably be a single man recruiter company who'll run you through a larger agency. I'm with something similar at the moment where the recruiter is a different company to the agency who I have the contract with.
            +1

But seeing as you haven't been offered the role yet the situation is moot for now.

Any of this talk will just spook the pimp and the interview will dry up, better to wait till you have seen an actual contract before guessing what might happen
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

High risk.

Secure the gig, don't mention the credit check until you discuss the terms.

Make sure the contract is reviewed and make sure payment terms are good.

Find out the chain - client - agent - yourco or client - uberagent - agent - yourco

if uberagent is s3, or some other big co, see if you can arrange to go direct with them and have them (s3) pay your agent a finder fee or something to manage them out of the equation.

Cross bridges when you get to them and all that.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                Are you an IPSE member? thought they provided some cover, only accept weekly terms with payment in 7 days. Can you arrange to go direct if the agency goes bust? If you have nothing else to walk into does it really matter if you lose a weeks money as opposed to being on the bench?
                +1

Short payment terms are a must in this situation, and insurance cover that will pay out if the agency goes bust (whether it covers everything or not) is always good. I'd also look for short notice period so that if you get worried about things going pop then you can get out quicker and not end up running up a larger credit with them.

If you have nothing else to do, what is there to lose?

Comment

Are you an IPSE+ member ?

https://www.ipse.co.uk/about-us/busi...ption-services

Comment

Thanks all for comments. I had two other irons in fire which both made offers. So boomed

Comment

Working...
                    X