• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Competition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition

I'm seeing this a lot now in correspondence from agents and in job adverts

"clients will not be able to provide sponsorship so candidate who already has right to work in the UK needs to apply"

To me this indicates a lot of non-eu competition for the roles out there.

Could this be the reason the market is so slow at the moment?

The economoy is supposed to boom and in particular the services sector so I don't understand the lack of contract roles.

Only British Citizens, EU Citizens and those with ILR/PR can contract. All others are tied to employer, apart from T2/T5 dependents and T5 YMS visa holders.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Only British Citizens, EU Citizens and those with ILR/PR can contract. All others are tied to employer, apart from T2/T5 dependents and T5 YMS visa holders.
      If I can interpret your response....you're saying, no, it isn't because on non-eu competition because they aren't eligible for the position. In which case, those statements are purely to reduce the noise to the agent?

Comment

People don't read adverts and try their luck.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by dwater View Post
          If I can interpret your response....you're saying, no, it isn't because on non-eu competition because they aren't eligible for the position. In which case, those statements are purely to reduce the noise to the agent?
          I suspect it's more to cut down the number of chancers and those like SE mentioned, i.e. Can't read...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I suspect it's more to cut down the number of chancers and those like SE mentioned, i.e. Can't read...
            Hrm, ok. What is a 'chancer' exactly? I'm guess it is someone who knows they don't really fit the position, but applies anyway.

I've been advised to do that by another contractor. I tend to read what is put and if there's something I don't have that is 'essential', then I don't apply. He said that, if it even mentions skills you have, then apply.

I wonder if agencies over emphasise the clients' requirements for some reason. Perhaps that's simply one way to cut down on applications and makes their life easier - I wonder if it is as effective as applicants' handwriting.

Comment

I wonder if agencies over emphasise the clients' requirements for some reason. Perhaps that's simply one way to cut down on applications and makes their life easier - I wonder if it is as effective as applicants' handwriting.
              I suspect agencies ask for a spec and HR/Management hand over their bog standard developer/dba/IT spec which covers everything a permie might ever be asked to do. They don't even think of tailoring it for the project and so the slippery IR35 slope starts.

Comment

Hrm, ok. What is a 'chancer' exactly? I'm guess it is someone who knows they don't really fit the position, but applies anyway.

I've been advised to do that by another contractor. I tend to read what is put and if there's something I don't have that is 'essential', then I don't apply. He said that, if it even mentions skills you have, then apply.

The adverts most agencies put out are standard and a lot don't distinguish between essential and desirable skills, so the contractor is right in the fact if you have most of the skills and the role is similar to what you have done before then apply.

If you have enough contracts under your belt the agent will get back to you and confirm with you if you have the essential skills. However there are some unrealistic clients out there who want experience in a skill that is so unique only a handful of people have it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  I suspect agencies ask for a spec and HR/Management hand over their bog standard developer/dba/IT spec which covers everything a permie might ever be asked to do. They don't even think of tailoring it for the project and so the slippery IR35 slope starts.
                  HR can be a real pain, often having no understanding of what is really required.

I'm sure most of us have seen examples of roles requiring 5 years experience in 'x' when 'x' has only been out for 12 months.

Comment

I have been seeing this line for ages, it's just part of their "template" along side stuff as "is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy." etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X