• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fed up with a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fed up with a contract

Ok, so it's Friday and I'm really bored - I thought I'll write here to moan a bit and hope for advice!

I started contracting over a year ago, a couple extensions later I don't understand what was the purpose of getting me to work here.

They were looking for someone experienced in PMO support, with PM qualifications, etc. Now I am here with all that, only to read forums all day and wait until someone asks me to schedule a meeting or to do some other minor tasks. I have a few responsibilities with budget management, but generally I work on my personal projects rather than on client’s stuff.

I work with a permie who has same responsibilities as I do, all PMs go to him to ask for things. I told the big boss several times that I’m available and have extra time. Nothing really changed...

Now I applied for mortgage, so can’t really leave this gig until I’m in the new house.

The contract is ending in a few months, I have a feeling they will extend it again. I am so fed up – but is it worth speaking to the big boss again before then?

I'm afraid that if I start raising too many things they will get rid of me before my mortgage is in place... So maybe... keep calm and keep invoicing??

He's not your boss. He's your client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, he is my client. I meant he is the boss of the place I work at... i.e. he manages all the people who in theory should be providing work to contractors

Comment

Originally posted by blender View Post
        So maybe... keep calm and keep invoicing??
        Nailed it.

Comment

One of the benefits of contracting is the flexibility so really that is up to you to decide but your warchest has to come first. To be honest it seems to me you've already got your answer Re the mortgage but not all of them require you to be in a gig so worth looking in to.

Ultimately the decision in situations like this is yours. Personally I don't need to hang around gigs and be miserable but my circumstances could be very different to yours.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            One of the benefits of contracting is the flexibility so really that is up to you to decide but your warchest has to come first. To be honest it seems to me you've already got your answer Re the mortgage but not all of them require you to be in a gig so worth looking in to.

Ultimately the decision in situations like this is yours. Personally I don't need to hang around gigs and be miserable but my circumstances could be very different to yours.
            Thank you.

I suppose you are right - I know I will probably have to stick with this until my mortgage is sorted. But I will check the mortgage terms when I get home today...

Comment

Originally posted by IPSE View Post
              Nailed it.

Comment

Why not start applying for other gigs?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Why not start applying for other gigs?
                  I suppose I'm worried to lave a fairly secure gig for something uncertain before the mortgage is sorted. If everything falls through I will end up on a bench which may affect my mortgage application.

I plan to start applying as soon as I get a key to my new house (still at least a month to go)
                  Last edited by blender; 22 July 2016, 14:19.

Comment

Had a few contracts like this and i was in a situation of low warchest and high overheads. Head was down and kept invoicing as i couldn't afford any bench time at that point. However its very dull but keep smiling keep invoicing is my advice.

Things are much healthier now on the warchest front and i can afford to be more selective or less inclined to stay on a mind numbing no work gig.

Comment

Working...
                    X