• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timers checklist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It covers their members. They don't really vet who joins, but I suspect it would really help if you are in some way self-employed, other than that they don't care what you do. The latest survey showed 45% in IT (the original number was close to 80%), a lot of the rest in various Engineering trades (mostly O&G) then a whole range of others from Interim Managers to accountants.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      The difference is that standard membership covers you for a tax investigation, i.e. they have found something they think is wrong and are chasing you for payment. PCGPlus covers the initial PAYE Audit, which is how most IR35 cases start off: the logic is that professional representation at that point will head off 90% of further investigations. In practice, if the brown envelope arrives nominating you for a PAYE audit, call the office and stand back.

Do not skimp on it; apart from the likely cost of an IR35 investigation running at around £55k (set that against the cost difference between standard and Plus), it's also 2-3 years of doubt and uncertainty. The best way to deal with it is not to start!
      I had come to this conclusion but might wing it until my next renewal !? But then maybe I'll play safe !? I missed the early IR35 years working overseas so my potential bill wasn't too bad but its probably now getting a bit scarier, maybe I'll add it up and then send my PCGplus cheque.

Comment

You can upgrade to Plus at any time and get charged pro rata for where you are in the renewal year. Talk to the guys in the office.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can upgrade to Plus at any time and get charged pro rata for where you are in the renewal year. Talk to the guys in the office.
          Just upgraded. They said you can go and collect your commission this afternoon.

Comment

What do the different PCG packages cost these days?

Comment

Originally posted by ITContractor
              What do the different PCG packages cost these days?
              See http://www.pcg.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall
                Am I correct that all I miss out on by only having standard PCG membership is the initial PAYE audit cover ?
                Jury service expense cover?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  Jury service expense cover?
                  I refer to the previous answer from Mr Matchbox - it's bundled with PCGPlus and is not available separately (at least, not from PCG), but for 90% of people PCGPlus is a no brainer anyway.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You should get a company debit card (do Cater Allen do them?) for routine expenses, rather than faff around with expense claims. Way more efficient.
                    Having recently opened an account with Cater Allen, I enquired about a debit card & was told I could only apply for one after 6 months, unless I could show I had savings stashed somewhere else (in the region of £15K I think).

Comment

See I've never understood the love affair with Cater Allen, at least not in the last few years. I got all the toys (debit card, monthly statements, internet banking with BACS and CHAPS, high(ish!) interest deposit account with instant transfers and overdraft facility) from day 1 with my bank, all I had to do was prove the business plan and likely earnings (given I had a 12-monther at £450 a day in my pocket at the time, not too hard to do). OK, they charge me around £6 a month in bank charges, but they pay me around £300 a quarter in interest on average, so big deal.

HSBC. Nasty people, don't touch them with a bargepole. Not...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X