• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Why did you not just try the role for a week? Not much to lose.

I was once interviewed by a person who asked an interview question and then just stayed emotionless and awkwardly silent after I had answered. After I started I mentioned it to him and he replied that it was his deliberate interview technique. In reality he was absolutely fine to work with.
    I think if you have been looking for months and really needed a break then I would agree. Otherwise taking what you know if the wrong role isn't going to bring you much joy and just takes you out of the market for the right role.

Saying that, if you haven't had anything for six months then I agree that you might as well have a go.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      Just seen my first begging post on LinkedIn...

I know people out there are desperate but it isn't a good look. Just don't do it. Remain professional.
      I really detest LI these days but one thing has taken it beyond that.

How the hell do I get rid of these annoying 'Expert Answers' things in the feed? Utterly dreadful and my searches at getting rid of them haven't yielded an answer.

Comment

Just seen my first begging post on LinkedIn...

I know people out there are desperate but it isn't a good look. Just don't do it. Remain professional.
        I get that people are desperate, but surely you can look through your contacts and simply DM the relevant ones, no? Yes less of an "impact" or reach, but way more professional which is something you still need to land a job.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

I get that people are desperate, but surely you can look through your contacts and simply DM the relevant ones, no? Yes less of an "impact" or reach, but way more professional which is something you still need to land a job.
          Is displaying the "Open to Work" badge on LinkedIn also considered professional?
          There seem to be varied viewpoints on this.

Personally, I lack the guts, or perhaps I have too much pride, to openly beg on LinkedIn, but I don't believe it's an ineffective approach without potential benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post

Is displaying the "Open to Work" badge on LinkedIn also considered professional?
            There seem to be varied viewpoints on this.

Personally, I lack the guts, or perhaps I have too much pride, to openly beg on LinkedIn, but I don't believe it's an ineffective approach without potential benefits.
            I think Open To Work badge is just using the platform for its purpose. Seems pointless to me to search for a new role / contract in the dark. Nothing wrong with telling people you are available.

Its never gone against me to set my status to that. In fact it generates leads. Goodness knows who decided it wasn't a good thing.

What isn't good is telling people you are desperate, just been through a divorce and your wife has cancer. Big no no.
            Last edited by dx4100; 27 November 2023, 22:15.

Comment

I think Open To Work badge is just using the platform for its purpose. Seems pointless to me to search for a new role / contract in the dark. Nothing wrong with telling people you are available.

Its never gone against me to set my status to that. In fact it generates leads. Goodness knows who decided it wasn't a good thing.

What isn't good is telling people you are desperate, just been through a divorce and your wife has cancer. Big no no.
              I saw a post yesterday from an experienced cloud and DevOps engineer with one of the worst 'desperate straits' stories I've come across. If it was accurate then I feel for the guy but I couldn't understand how someone got into such a state in just a few months of no work given their experience and skill sets.

Comment

Not sure how the contractor marker will recover from this point.

Seems to be too far gone to be just a blip in the economy. The way interest rates are, it looks like everyone including companies are holding onto their purse strings quite tightly.

It may even be another 12mths before we see the market improving. All, I can say, is I'm holding off ordering a new kitchen.

Comment

Can't imagine it being fun for a recuriter at all. It was understandably bad at the start of COVID, however we all sort of knew it was temporary but this is another level.

It's been 4yrs now since I was working on an outside contract in Canary Wharf. Are we ever going to get back to those days again?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I saw a post yesterday from an experienced cloud and DevOps engineer with one of the worst 'desperate straits' stories I've come across. If it was accurate then I feel for the guy but I couldn't understand how someone got into such a state in just a few months of no work given their experience and skill sets.
                    You may well have seen the same one as me. Whatever your personal circumstance it should have no impact on your suitability for a role. In fact, who would want to take on someone with that sort of baggage ? You aren't selling yourself well.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                      Can't imagine it being fun for a recuriter at all. It was understandably bad at the start of COVID, however we all sort of knew it was temporary but this is another level.

It's been 4yrs now since I was working on an outside contract in Canary Wharf. Are we ever going to get back to those days again?
                      I had a recent outside gig in the Wharf in insurance but I think the days of significant numbers of outside contracts are well and truly over in most of FS.

Comment

Working...
                      X