• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had contact today from a couple of agents I know regarding big paying contracts at a well known investment bank now having done a u-turn on blanket bans on PSC's. Whilst I could do with landing work given the current climate, on reading the specs. they just didn't appeal to me. Sounded more like BAU work than proper development. Maybe I'm getting old, I don't know, but there has to be more to this than just the money. You have to sit there doing the work day by day after all. I'm going to pass these two by in the hope the market does rebound in a couple of months or so. My gut feeling is that it will. Perhaps something interesting might come along on a good rate. Until then, continue with the plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      Had contact today from a couple of agents I know regarding big paying contracts at a well known investment bank now having done a u-turn on blanket bans on PSC's. Whilst I could do with landing work given the current climate, on reading the specs. they just didn't appeal to me. Sounded more like BAU work than proper development. Maybe I'm getting old, I don't know, but there has to be more to this than just the money. You have to sit there doing the work day by day after all. I'm going to pass these two by in the hope the market does rebound in a couple of months or so. My gut feeling is that it will. Perhaps something interesting might come along on a good rate. Until then, continue with the plan B.
      Hope you're right and best of luck. My gut tells me that we are in for a monster slump.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Hope you're right and best of luck. My gut tells me that i'm in for a monster dump.
        ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          Yeah, I was thinking the same way around the end of month one of my current 6 month session on the bench. Now I would happily accept the worst of the roles I thought weren't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            you really havent been following along have you
            I can still get out of here.

Comment

Hope you're right and best of luck. My gut tells me that we are in for a monster slump.
              It will make the 1930s depression look tame methinks due to how much debt many people carry!

Comment

Currently in a role, end in summer, if there's no renewal, I can't see myself getting back in employment until sept/oct. And if the market is still dead then, then I can easily see myself being unemployed until 2021!

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  Yeah, I was thinking the same way around the end of month one of my current 6 month session on the bench. Now I would happily accept the worst of the roles I thought weren't good enough.
                  + 1

I will literally bend paperclips for a good rate when the market is like this

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    + 1

I will literally bend paperclips for a good rate when the market is like this
                    Sounds like my ideal gig. As long as I can sub it out to PC.

Comment

Sounds like my ideal gig. As long as I can sub it out to PC.
                      He'd take it and keep claiming nqat.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X