• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also interesting that in the past the LibDems were very vocal about PR, they seem less so now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I do think after 14 years, a new government at least have the right to be giving a fair hearing. I just see a lot of people who will never be happy with a Labour government whatever they do.
      Very happy with Labour so far...

Clobbering private schools, taking money off pensioners who don't need it, increasing taxes on companies rather than workers and apparently HS2 coming back to life.

The sort of people who moan about this stuff are the very problem in our society and enabled the Tories to run this country into the ground over the last 14 years.
      Last edited by dx4100; Yesterday, 06:59.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

Very happy with Labour so far...

Clobbering private schools, taking money off pensioners who don't need it, increasing taxes on companies rather than workers and apparently HS2 coming back to life.

The sort of people who moan about this stuff are the very problem in our society and enabled the Tories to run this country into the ground over the last 14 years.
        Why is clobbering private schools a good thing? Not everybody who privately educates their kids are rich or even middle class. A lot of people are having to do it because state education often fails kids particularly around bullying. A lot of parents who home school kids do so because they may have kids who have autism or other conditions. Again, they are being failed by state education so have no choice. Home schooling is classed as private education if you didn't know, so has been hit by the 20% VAT addition.
        There should be no VAT on school fees and there should be no university fees for anyone other than international students. This to me is bonkers and is the fault of both Tories and Labour.

Comment

Labour, looks like tfl and the train unions will be striking over pay next month. The joy.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Why is clobbering private schools a good thing? Not everybody who privately educates their kids are rich or even middle class. A lot of people are having to do it because state education often fails kids particularly around bullying. A lot of parents who home school kids do so because they may have kids who have autism or other conditions. Again, they are being failed by state education so have no choice. Home schooling is classed as private education if you didn't know, so has been hit by the 20% VAT addition.
            There should be no VAT on school fees and there should be no university fees for anyone other than international students. This to me is bonkers and is the fault of both Tories and Labour.
            A lot of tired arguments there. What about all the kids facing the same issues who don't have the family resources to send their children to private school and have to go to state schools which are starved of funds ? The state sector needs more money to overcome these issues for the rest of the children and not just your privileged offspring.

Its great stuff. You are only being asked to pay 20% VAT on something that only offers value to your children. Exactly why we have VAT.

Next we should be applying VAT to private medical insurance for all the same reasons.

Whatever the sob story don't think others with less resources aren't walking them. If you want go private its fine, but you need to cough up the tax to support the ones who lack those options. Seriously its disgraceful these private businesses can operate as if they are a charity.
            Last edited by dx4100; Yesterday, 10:35.

Comment

I wouldn't be sending kids to private schooling to avoid bullying, other reasons maybe*, but not bullying. As an Army brat I was sent to boarding school so talking from experience of what I witnessed.

*not that I could find any so my kids attended the local school even though we could afford private education.

Comment

If you want go private its fine, but you need to cough up the tax to support the ones who lack those options.
                Aren’t they already subsidising these services by paying for them (via tax) and not using them?

Comment

Home schooling is classed as private education if you didn't know, so has been hit by the 20% VAT addition.
                  Eh?
                  Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; Yesterday, 11:08.

Comment

A lot of tired arguments there. What about all the kids facing the same issues who don't have the family resources to send their children to private school and have to go to state schools which are starved of funds ?
                    What about them? Have their parents given up drinking, smoking, tattoos, takeaways to donate to their school? Let me know when they do, then we'll talk about how such children are my responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      Eh?
                      What I mean is you usually pay for home schooling from an online school. You can of course home school without that, but that would mean giving up work and teaching your child yourself. I don't think many people choose that option as it's not cost effective and most people aren't qualified to teach.

Comment

Working...
                      X