• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpliterOfLogs View Post

I was speaking to the chap in charge of recruitment at the place I'm working and he said the same thing, the standard of candidates has been terrible, so bad in fact that they have given up advertising roles and moved to only recruiting by recommendation.
    Yep. Trouble is IT, programming is seen as a low skill trade now. As it is over managed with scrum/agile/prince. Managers can recruit anyone with little experience and knowledge and get them up to speed quickly.

I am sure I read in this thread that the worse was over, looks like it has just started! another 18mths!

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post

Yep. Trouble is IT, programming is seen as a low skill trade now. As it is over managed with scrum/agile/prince. Managers can recruit anyone with little experience and knowledge and get them up to speed quickly.

I am sure I read in this thread that the worse was over, looks like it has just started! another 18mths!
      I thought the worst was over myself but reading what the government are saying it's worse than we imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

I can't see any basis for any improvement in the job market for the foreseeable future. This is it, endgame while we await the collapse.

The funny thing is that the project I'm running has been recruiting and the candidates have been woeful. Everyone is totally thick, 10,000 Indians with fraudulent CVs - one was even using AI in the interview. We have entered some parallel universe where everything is just stupid and pointless while the cost of living soars and rates flatline.
        We interviewed one chap last year who stated that for his final year dissertation he had developed an algorithm that could accurately predict stock market prices.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Depends if something happens to get rid of Labour, otherwise its going to be a long 5 year depression, with spiraling taxes. sky high inflation and no work.
          Yes, because the alternative worked so well for the last 14 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Yes, because the alternative worked so well for the last 14 years.
            Or the last 30 years. Perhaps its time to try a real alternative and not one of the two parties with the same policies?

But that's nonsense. The government makes extensive use of those methodologies and yet their projects rarely succeed. My view is that we are going to fail as a society as those with the knowledge and experience to actually succeed decide to take early retirement. Our young, despite holding a computer in their hand most of their lives haven't got a clue, and don't even care they are clueless.

Lets face it. We've given up as a society. And most people don't even care or are too stupid to realise.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Or the last 30 years. Perhaps its time to try a real alternative and not one of the two parties with the same policies?

But that's nonsense. The government makes extensive use of those methodologies and yet their projects rarely succeed. My view is that we are going to fail as a society as those with the knowledge and experience to actually succeed decide to take early retirement. Our young, despite holding a computer in their hand most of their lives haven't got a clue, and don't even care they are clueless.

Lets face it. We've given up as a society. And most people don't even care or are too stupid to realise.
              I think it probably fair to give the current government more than two months before writing them off.

However I think there is something in your second point. The IT industry in this country is showing signs of not being sustainable and the people who have worked in it for the last few decades are beginning to look for the nearest exit, be it through retirement, career change or another country.

I genuinely think it is becoming a national security issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SpliterOfLogs View Post

I was speaking to the chap in charge of recruitment at the place I'm working and he said the same thing, the standard of candidates has been terrible, so bad in fact that they have given up advertising roles and moved to only recruiting by recommendation.
                Have seen this first hand at current client. People whose CV's look excellent. They come in for interview and often have a poor command of spoken English, and when asked to provide examples and talk through things on their CV, it all falls apart. Also some claiming to have worked for companies that would be able to recruit the best, one example being the Bank of England.

Comment

Where are all the start-ups, the market distrubers, the enterpenurers and the VCs?

Where is the latest, greatest iPhone and competitor?

We have had 25yrs of Facebook, nothing significant to take it on?

Any great new ideas on dragons den?

I don't get it. It's ******* flat dead everywhere, including my boxer shorts. Somone please, do something!

Comment

Where are all the start-ups, the market distrubers, the enterpenurers and the VCs?

Where is the latest, greatest iPhone and competitor?

We have had 25yrs of Facebook, nothing significant to take it on?

Any great new ideas on dragons den?

I don't get it. It's ******* flat dead everywhere, including my boxer shorts. Somone please, do something!
                    I'm going nowhere near your boxer shorts!

Comment

The VCs for the last eighteen months have only been interested in funding AI startups. With most of that VC money ending up in the pockets of Nvidia.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 4 September 2024, 13:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X