• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent has said rate is x and then asks me what my rate is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

An agent's approached me for a role and has said the rate is up to £x, which I think is slightly higher than normal. I've come to confirming my application and the agent has asked me for my rate. Is it usual practice to hit the up to figure?

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
    Hi,

An agent's approached me for a role and has said the rate is up to £x, which I think is slightly higher than normal. I've come to confirming my application and the agent has asked me for my rate. Is it usual practice to hit the up to figure?
    I know how much my "market rate" is for any given role / area. I have a top and bottom figure in mind. I try to get what I think is top for me and make sure I get no less than bottom

The agent is usually just fishing I find when they state a rate I know is beyond the usual.

I think its better to fix on what you want rather than the tulip an agent is posting on a jobboard any given day.

Comment

Put 10% on top of what their offering then tell them that's your normal rate but your willing to drop a little bit because the role looks interesting

Comment

Fairly certain there a role. I know the company, basic spec plus an enhanced spec. The rates not excessive but it seems high for the area.
        Don't want to under sell myself by going in under

Comment

I wouldn't personally go in under the rate if the agent has said its x and you feel you have the skills to do the role id ask for x. If however it's something you ok at and trying to move into a different role perhaps go in a bit less

Comment

Go for the top end of what they're offering. Likely to be negotiations if you get the role

Comment

Most agents ask for your last rate so they can get an idea of how much you're worth to them [emoji386]

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                Most agents ask for your last rate so they can get an idea of how much you're worth to them [emoji386]
                Which is nonsense, I've worked in London for 600 plus and locally for two thirds of that, I always say my rate is dependent on location and role and never give a figure until I know the lay of the land.

Comment

I agree with slip, the whole what did you last earn doesn't really mean much. The agent has no way of knowing if you told them the truth.

Comment

Oh and thanks for the further comments had no idea others had replied.

Comment

Working...
                    X