• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments

Hi All

I have a client, where the manager, (I hate that term because I work with my clients in a professional way, I don't need to be managed), has started to make snide comments, about contractors and especially myself. There have been 4 or 5 over the last 3 months.

When I renewed I had a clause placed into my contract saying that the assignee can work from their business premises and come to the site as and when required for meetings / workshops / good practice. I've actually done more than that, as I have been going in 4 days out of 5 and working from home on a Friday. Traffic on a Friday is hell and takes hours to get home. Other contractors also Work From Home, but there are one or two of the contractors who have very strict and negative views about people who work from home. I'm not sure if they are causing the issue. Don't care though ! At renewal, the 'manager' said he didn't believe people should work from home on a Friday, but said that was his view and his problem.

It came to a head last night, when I emailed the 'manager' at 7pm, saying I was expecting an unexpected early delivery tomorrow and I would need to work from home tomorrow. He frequently checks his emails overnight and I know he read it.

When I work from home, I do miles more than anyone else on time, by at least 2-3 hours in the day and that is always productive and I always deliver. This morning he started getting really funny saying he expects me to show more courtsey and getting very aggressive over the phone. I explained that it was unexpected that it was so early, and also I had been ill overnight and meant it wasn't wise for me to come in as I was contagious anyway.

I don't expect people to start getting aggressive, in a professional environment. There's no point in doing this as I believe this doesn't solve anything.

The comments are really starting to get on my nerves. I know it probably sounds trivial but any advice of how to deal with this 'manager' ?

Many Thanks

Padd

Don't take any further renewals and get a new contract elsewhere.

If all the rest of the people involved in the project are too stupid to say that some people do more work at home then it's not a team you want to be in.

The manager's mind won't be changed by you alone as some people take until they are elderly to realise things can be accomplished more than one way in life.

And yes I've had this.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some people don't like contractors. Their reasons may be incorrect but I'm not wasting any breathe trying to correct them.

I've heard one company CIO state we were sucking the blood out of the organisation and I've been in meetings where we have been referred to as scum.

As per SE's post, if you're not happy then move on. There are plenty of good places to work. And also, don't let one person, who sounds like he has issues anyway, spoil what might otherwise be a decent gig.

Comment

Yep. Seen all of this before.

Current client is pretty good in general. Permies are good as gold but you still get the odd comment about contractor scumbags which they think is dead funny. As for WFH - yep current client has got manager like that too.

Worse place I worked at had a 'contractor desk'. Contractors had a separate area of the office and had to stay there - very childish that was. And you also used to get meetings where you were described as someone they were trying to get rid of asap. Mind you this was also the same client who said I wasnt allowed to leave site at lunchtime, had to restrict toilet breaks to one per morning or afternoon, and not allowed to park on the public road outside the office (looked scruffy).
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If all the rest of the people involved in the project are too stupid to say that some people do more work at home then it's not a team you want to be in.

The manager's mind won't be changed by you alone as some people take until they are elderly to realise things can be accomplished more than one way in life.

And yes I've had this.
          Good advice.

Next time it might be worth rethinking your approach. WFH on Friday and when you have a delivery sounds like it's your convenience, not aligning with business needs. Better perhaps to just come in for meetings / workshops / good practice, and try to organise these around what works for you as well. Perhaps a matter of presentation?

Having said that, it sounds like the "manager" would be a problem anyway, but no point in giving ammunition.

Comment

My parcel deliveries come to the office reception and duly left on my desk! And returns too collected from the reception. I love my client

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And yes I've had this.
              This. You're not a permie wage slave holding out for his bonus or pension, move, simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Good advice.

Next time it might be worth rethinking your approach. WFH on Friday and when you have a delivery sounds like it's your convenience, not aligning with business needs. Better perhaps to just come in for meetings / workshops / good practice, and try to organise these around what works for you as well. Perhaps a matter of presentation?

Having said that, it sounds like the "manager" would be a problem anyway, but no point in giving ammunition.
                Yep would agree. A lot of places seem to see WFH Friday as a skive off extra weekend day.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I think my suggested approach would depend on how big your warchest is - if you've got enough cash that you could survive until the next contract turns up, then I see no reason not to deal with this head on. Arrange a meeting with this 'manager' and emphasize that you deliver significant output when working from home and it's not simply a convenience but a more practical environment in which to work, coupled with the fact that you're giving them the benefit of the extra time working instead of commuting.

It might not make a difference but I feel that it at least sets expectations that if you decline further renewals you can cite their negative attitude towards WFH as a contributing factor. Again they might not like it but I think it's better than just leaving and them having no real idea why. Attitudes do sometimes change, albeit slowly, so making sure clients know what puts contractors off I think is worth doing. In the long run if they lose enough decent people and it's clear why, then something might eventually be done to improve their attitude.

If your warchest isn't sufficient then I'd say be practical and suck it up until you do have enough in the bank that they need you more than you need them.

Comment

Get yourself out of there. Lifes too short.

Comment

Working...
                    X