• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to work after long break - cv?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by takethebus View Post
    Rather than having your CV in a chronological order you could tailor it to the roles you are applying to by listing the key skills you would be supplying, support that with a case study approach then listing the previous roles later on in the CV e.g page 2, that way you may have more of a chance of a recruiter identifying you based on your skills and abilities for the role rather than instantly looking at the career break, a lot wouldn't even look at the second page, that way you could at least get a foot in and explain the career break at a later date in person?
    Possible but most agents aren't adept at reading these CV's properly... in fact I know that many clients aren't either. It really should be the way contractor CV's go as we are companies selling services not a person with a personal career history. Sadly the middle men and the client's won't seem to move with the times and attempt to understand this situation. Sad really.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by imightbewrong View Post
      I stopped working in 2014 to spend some time looking after the family while the wife built up her small business. Had been working for over a decade at that point.

Now looking to get back into hopefully a contract - any thoughts/advice/experience on how to refer to this time on the cv?
      If you don't put dates on your CV the problem goes away.

But if you are wedded to that format then a gap of 18 months is neither here nor there IMHO and would not put tha average IT employer off at all. Agencies will tell yuo it is a devastating shortcoming and you will not get employment unless you work for minimum wage of course... while they pick up a full price tag for the skills you offer...

...if you let them.

Boo
      Last edited by Boo; 31 March 2016, 12:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        If you don't put dates on your CV the problem goes away.
        Boo
        But the new ones that crop up are likely far more difficult to overcome...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Possible but most agents aren't adept at reading these CV's properly... in fact I know that many clients aren't either. It really should be the way contractor CV's go as we are companies selling services not a person with a personal career history. Sadly the middle men and the client's won't seem to move with the times and attempt to understand this situation. Sad really.

The mindset seems to be "what have they done in the last 3-5 years that is relevant, how long have they been doing it for, how much are they". At least it's generally consistent.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Agents are dumb as ass. They can be tricked easier then a 2 years old.
            They don't make a difference between being employed by your own LTD and the actual time doing work for clients. I.e. you can be employed by your LTD for 10 years but only worked on projects for 6 years with gaps or just first 6 years and then a nice break.
            As long as you are up to date with the trends in your trade, you are OK.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
              Agents are dumb as ass. They can be tricked easier then a 2 years old.
              They don't make a difference between being employed by your own LTD and the actual time doing work for clients. I.e. you can be employed by your LTD for 10 years but only worked on projects for 6 years with gaps or just first 6 years and then a nice break.
              As long as you are up to date with the trends in your trade, you are OK.
              And can write a post that makes sense and doesn't appear to be written by someone on mind numbing pharmaceuticals.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And can write a post that makes sense and doesn't appear to be written by someone on mind numbing pharmaceuticals.
                MarkyMark's in the Philippines. HTH
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  MarkyMark's in the Philippines. HTH
                  Hope he's got my order sorted and has found a suitable place to hide it.

Comment

Originally posted by takethebus View Post
                    Rather than having your CV in a chronological order you could tailor it to the roles you are applying to by listing the key skills you would be supplying, support that with a case study approach then listing the previous roles later on in the CV e.g page 2, that way you may have more of a chance of a recruiter identifying you based on your skills and abilities for the role rather than instantly looking at the career break, a lot wouldn't even look at the second page, that way you could at least get a foot in and explain the career break at a later date in person?
                    I have tried this when I was not desperately looking for a new contract yet as Istill had 4 or 5 weeks to go on my old contract. Zero responses from agencies. Responses started when I reverted back to my old chronological CV

Comment

Thanks all. I'm not going to pretend I was doing anything useful in the interim as that is just asking to come undone in an interview - although I have been keeping current in my area.

FWIW I spoke to an agent - one recommended to me - and he said the standard is to just put 'career break' - he's putting me forward for a few gigs at or above my old rate so fingers crossed - will let you know how it goes

Comment

Working...
                      X