• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency prank calls?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
    It's nothing like that. They also know my email address, as at the same time they can send me fake roles to collect my updated CV, just to update their database.
    I've had a chat with a honest recruiter the other day, he told me that I should start the naturalisation process asap to become a British citizen. Having lived in the UK for 10+ years, working in the top tech industry, suddenly this started to matter more than my experience. Of course this may well just be a speculation. He didn't go into details why, but he definitely thought that this would be a good idea. Unfortunately that process takes months even if I started now, and I can't afford being unemployed for that long.
    Why does applying for citizenship mean you'd be unemployed?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      You don't see the relationship between these two?
      Agent Joe is a Cognos recruiter. You're a Cognos contractor.
      On your cv is a list of companies who could be looking for Cognos people
      Agent Joe goes through your cv to see which are the most likely to recruit; scrubs off Client Y when you say that you were binned off because they were migrating to SSRS/SSAS; passes Client Z to his drinking buddy Perm Agent Chris when he finds out that they binned you off because they were culling contractors in favour of perm.
      Ok, that's the first most sensible idea. So they just want to know what technologies the companies in my CV are using, and whether they are after contractors or permies. Does make some sense.
      The question it raises: am I working against my chances if I help them out with these details? I would guess this is less dangerous than giving out the name of the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Why does applying for citizenship mean you'd be unemployed?
        I agree, it shouldn't. But taking into account what I experienced in my past two contracts, and also that for 4 months I can't even get an interview invitation for roles that I am 150% suitable for (I have a lot more experience than required), this was a reasonable conclusion that I have to take into account. Now that 4 months passed, even the phone calls and emails are getting more and more rare, even though I keep on refreshing my CV every week, on at least 6-7 job boards.

Comment

Originally posted by wogewwabbit View Post
          Ok, that's the first most sensible idea. So they just want to know what technologies the companies in my CV are using, and whether they are after contractors or permies. Does make some sense.
          The question it raises: am I working against my chances if I help them out with these details? I would guess this is less dangerous than giving out the name of the manager.
          If you have no intention of working for those companies again, then tell them whatever you want. The main point of the conversation is to get it focused on what they can do for you - currently all I'm hearing is what you've done for them.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            I don't answer hidden numbers.

Happened to me several times from a identified number. They show interest in my CV and profile, before hang up they say. "I will send you the job description by email" but they don't send, why this?
            So thats 90% of agents then....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              Black list.

I don't answer the phone calls and I don't apply to theire jobs invitations sent by email.

For me, all of this it’s a lack of respect and I don’t want to work with these kind of people.
              Good luck with contracting then....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                If you have no intention of working for those companies again, then tell them whatever you want. The main point of the conversation is to get it focused on what they can do for you - currently all I'm hearing is what you've done for them.
                I know that this is what matters - however I do feel that I am left with no choices. If I ask them if they have a role in mind all they say is 'yes, but first I need to see what experience you have'. And what can I do against this? Should I hang up the phone? Should I be rude with them? I know what my interests are, but at the same time I have to rely on agents - so I can't afford being rude.

One thing I decided: I will not answer hidden numbers ever again. If they really have a job at hand that might be suitable, they will call me from their mobile anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  So thats 90% of agents then....
                  Agents have mobiles - if they are interested in you they will make sure they get through.

Incidentally every agent I've got a contract from doesn't have a hidden number. Plus those Indian outfits are now showing up as random UK numbers.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Good luck with contracting then....
                    I have to second that. If you don't play by their rules you'll just be left out of the game. I know it's frustrating, and every time I hear that my contract will end my first thought is "s...t, I'll have to deal with these ...ers again". But there is no other way.
                    You can build a nice network after many years, and get contracts through ex-colleagues, but without such a network this is what you are left with. And it's just going to get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Agents have mobiles - if they are interested in you they will make sure they get through.

Incidentally every agent I've got a contract from doesn't have a hidden number. Plus those Indian outfits are now showing up as random UK numbers.
                      I keep on blocking the indian ones, now I have at least 20 numbers starting with 020, that are actually indian companies. I even started getting marketing calls from web developers in India, the same way. "Sir we make you a very nice website sir."

Comment

Working...
                      X