• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left for the holy grail permie job - not settling in at all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This "lots of HR", PDPs, etc comes up a lot on here. Never really understood. In my permie roles I've never had much to do with HR. Agents, timesheets when contracting are much more of a pain.

Why are you lot getting dragged before HR?

To the original poster the one thing that stands out for me is you are underselling yourself. 60k permie aren't THAT hard to get. There are a lot of options out there.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
      This "lots of HR", PDPs, etc comes up a lot on here. Never really understood. In my permie roles I've never had much to do with HR. Agents, timesheets when contracting are much more of a pain.

Why are you lot getting dragged before HR?

To the original poster the one thing that stands out for me is you are underselling yourself. 60k permie aren't THAT hard to get. There are a lot of options out there.
      It depends on the size of the company.

The larger the company the more HR processes there are.

Medium size companies start putting HR processes in when there are too many staff for the managers to talk with one to one.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So what kind of HR policies have taken up lots of time?

I'm getting old - worked for lots of companies big, medium, small. Never had much to do with HR.

Comment

I have been contracting 16 yrs, twice in that time I have been tempted to move into a perm role from my contract position each time I havent lasted 4 months and returned to contracting. I dont like it, I cant take bosses, team meetings, performance targets, and other such crap !
          That being said I have just had a telephone interview for a 12 months FTC which went well, lets see if I take it.

Comment

What I find interesting OP is that you took a £60k role.

I contract out at £420-£480 a day, and I wouldn't take less than £75k (I have recently been exploring a permie role myself).

HTH
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Other benefit of permy is not having to deal with HMRC, I know its like letting the f**k*rs win, but it does feel nice to have a chunk of cash hitting your account each month knowing you have no IR35 / HMRC bull sh*t to deal with.

I miss contracting a lot, took me years to get my head round being permy and I still feel like a contractor at heart but UK HMRC screwed that up.
              I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                Other benefit of permy is not having to deal with HMRC, I know its like letting the f**k*rs win, but it does feel nice to have a chunk of cash hitting your account each month knowing you have no IR35 / HMRC bull sh*t to deal with.

I miss contracting a lot, took me years to get my head round being permy and I still feel like a contractor at heart but UK HMRC screwed that up.
                No IR35/HMRC bulltulip EXCEPT they have already taken 30 odd % (Income) TAX plus 11 odd % NI, plus the Employers NI %........

I don't get this argument, "the man" is always out to get your money - by going permie or Brolly you only abdicate the power to limit what he steals, you don't stop him getting his mits on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                  No IR35/HMRC bulltulip EXCEPT they have already taken 30 odd % (Income) TAX plus 11 odd % NI, plus the Employers NI %........

I don't get this argument, "the man" is always out to get your money - by going permie or Brolly you only abdicate the power to limit what he steals, you don't stop him getting his mits on it.
                  Yeah true for me works out about 60% net but the take home pay is enough to be happy-ish on and employer throws in £900 per month into a pension for me as there contribution, I get health care, I get life insurance, I get health MOT each year and I am even get a nanny for 28 days a year.

Comment

Maybe there is a forum where you can go and discuss all these benefits with like minded people?

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
                      Maybe there is a forum where you can go and discuss all these benefits with like minded people?
                      Just pointing out the pro's, I probably got more contract experience then you anyway so give a view from both sides of the coin.

Comment

Working...
                      X