• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

advice on termination before serving entire notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on termination before serving entire notice period

I'd like to take stock with this trusted body and communicate to client then to agent. I am a little over 1.5 months into a 6 month contract via an agency. My schedule requires an equal 1 month notice to serve agency or to MyLtdCo.

Unfortunately, my circumstances have changed and I need to move back to the USA for family reasons by no later than 12-APR. To-date I've completed all client deliverables, but could stay-on till 31-MAR or till a replacement found (sooner).

I've never done this, and my statement above is too wholly to say to client, but want to ensure each party finds appropriate ground. I want to set a definitive date in-stone with the client of 25-MAR (who I think will be amenable) and minimise impact of any payment issues or breach of service with agency.

There's a substitute / sub-contract clause, subject to client 'agreement' on an eligible candidate, but everyone I know with my skill set is in-contract or about to-be.

What's the best way in handling this with client and subsequently the agency (does client need to communicate agreement to agency or I do that on their behalf)?

Apologies, if I sound a bit loose here, but as you might imagine other scenarios are playing on my mind.

Thanks,
    HPSauce

"An amount equal to the number of days in the notice period multiplied by the daily rate specified in the Schedule attached will be payable by the Consultancy to the Employment Business in the event that the Consultancy terminates the supply before the end of the agreed contract period without giving the required notice specified in the Schedule attached (unless in the event of said contractual breach the Client requests the Employment Business in writing to waive the corresponding liability on the part of the Consultancy)."

Just tell the client why that you have to leave - instead of saying family reasons just tell them exactly why you have to go as you are a human being after all - , then immediately follow it up with a very professional email (so have the email written but not sent from your smartphone) and then tell the agency.

Get your priorities right family is more important than the ******* agency.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Just tell the client why that you have to leave - instead of saying family reasons just tell them exactly why you have to go as you are a human being after all - , then immediately follow it up with a very professional email (so have the email written but not sent from your smartphone) and then tell the agency.

Get your priorities right family is more important than the ******* agency.
      Thanks SueEllen. Why the **** do I always try and over complicate matters.

Comment

Originally posted by HPsauce View Post
        Thanks SueEllen. Why the **** do I always try and over complicate matters.
        Because you are stressing over the family problem.

Now go and write that short professional email and do not send it. In fact put another one of your own email addresses in the "To" box until you want to send it.

Comment

Do you have any ability to complete your notice via remote working?
          Just a thought, if anyone sticks their heels in.
          So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Just tell them what you told us and you'll be fine..
            why do you care? you're going to US anyway

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
              Do you have any ability to complete your notice via remote working?
              Just a thought, if anyone sticks their heels in.
              F*** that. Additional stress isn't needed.

Comment

i guess contractors can be biatches too

Comment

As soon as the client is on board, agency's opinion on the matter is largely irrelevant. I assume you have no MMO clauses in the contract, so if the client agrees that they don't need you past a certain date, the agency can't do much.

Comment

Get the client on side and they can sort the agent out. If the client wants you to stay it gets more complicated; remote working may be possible to avoid contractual issues but fingers crossed humanity prevails.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X