Pulling out of Contract after accepting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 56
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Pulling out of Contract after accepting

    Good Day,

    I am new to contracting and accepted my first IT contract last week through recruiter A. This contract is a 45 mile drive each way and is paying 400 per day for 4 months. I actually had an interview arranged for this week through recruiter B for a contract which is 7 mile drive, 500 per day and a minimum of 6 months (likely to extend as it is early project days). I already accepted and signed contract A and tried to cancel the interview for contract B but recruiter B convinced me that I should go to the interview anyway and then decide what is best for me as recruiter A will find somebody in no time.
    Obviously recruiter B is going to say that I should go for my benefit when it is simply for his benefit. However, I am stuck as to what is the right thing to do. Contract B is far better on paper and I feel I would benefit most from it but I do not like to mess people around and go back on my word. It is not how I like to act in life where possible.

    Interested to know what others think about this...

  2. #2

    Should post faster

    AnotherGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    114
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    It is not the first time I've done a good interview, thought I would get the gig, but at the end I didn't get it for whatever reason.

    So IMO, go to interview at client B, knowing you've secured client A already, as you have nothing to lose (maybe time). The best that could happen is you are offered gig at client B, being it much better not only on paper (as it is now) but having it secured, and you can cancel gig at client A telling them the truth.
    There is a high chance that you might not get gig B, but at least you tried...

  3. #3

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,941
    Thanks (Given)
    361
    Thanks (Received)
    634
    Likes (Given)
    2314
    Likes (Received)
    2733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGuy View Post
    It is not the first time I've done a good interview, thought I would get the gig, but at the end I didn't get it for whatever reason.

    So IMO, go to interview at client B, knowing you've secured client A already, as you have nothing to lose (maybe time). The best that could happen is you are offered gig at client B, being it much better not only on paper (as it is now) but having it secured, and you can cancel gig at client A telling them the truth.
    There is a high chance that you might not get gig B, but at least you tried...
    Would be great advice if they hadn't signed Contract A....
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  4. #4

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    23
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Did you have the interview arranged for recruiter B before you accepted and signed recruiter A?

    If you did then you should have stalled recruiter B - if you didn't then why did you entertain recruiter B's approach, you should have informed them that you were already signed up for another role.

    Either way you were happy to accept recruiter A so you should stick by your principles and decline recruiter B.
    Remember, regardless of a project being at the early stages this is no indication of the likelihood of a renewal, you'll only get a renewal on how you perform in your role.

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,980
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1500
    Likes (Given)
    1794
    Likes (Received)
    6111

    Default

    Cancel the interview with B. That way you are avoiding a very difficult decision that will probably end up on here. You've signed for a gig. Get on with it.

    The agent is only looking at hisnown commission so don't pay him too much heed and certainly never let an agent strong arm you in to a decision. Ever.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Interview B was booked before Interview A and I did tell the recruiter that I had interview B booked.. Its just that company A moved incredibly fast. Recruiter A wanted an immediate answer so I was unable to stall in fear of losing that gig.
    I went to cancel the process for interview B but as can be expected, recruiter B was trying to convince me to take whichever offer is better.

    Reputation and word do mean a lot to me. However, I also am human so a 14 mile round trip each day is far better than a 90 mile round trip. Equally, the daily rate is more. I don't know how else I should have played it. I would have lost out on contract A if I stalled and although highly likely, it is not guaranteed that I will get contract B.

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,980
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1500
    Likes (Given)
    1794
    Likes (Received)
    6111

    Default

    Sometimes you just have to play what you've got and stick to it. You had a choice and you took it. Time wasnt on your side this time but maybe it will next time. Remember each contract is for a finite time. You are going to have many of them. Some good, some bad. The longer commute isn't forever. It's just part of what we do.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    1,665
    Thanks (Given)
    22
    Thanks (Received)
    100
    Likes (Given)
    87
    Likes (Received)
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudycontractor View Post
    Interview B was booked before Interview A and I did tell the recruiter that I had interview B booked.. Its just that company A moved incredibly fast. Recruiter A wanted an immediate answer so I was unable to stall in fear of losing that gig.
    I went to cancel the process for interview B but as can be expected, recruiter B was trying to convince me to take whichever offer is better.

    Reputation and word do mean a lot to me. However, I also am human so a 14 mile round trip each day is far better than a 90 mile round trip. Equally, the daily rate is more. I don't know how else I should have played it. I would have lost out on contract A if I stalled and although highly likely, it is not guaranteed that I will get contract B.
    You had to stall recruiter A by saying you need to have your contract reviewed first for IR35, which I hope you have done (unless you're going to work for an umbrella)

  9. #9

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,941
    Thanks (Given)
    361
    Thanks (Received)
    634
    Likes (Given)
    2314
    Likes (Received)
    2733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudycontractor View Post
    Interview B was booked before Interview A and I did tell the recruiter that I had interview B booked.. Its just that company A moved incredibly fast. Recruiter A wanted an immediate answer so I was unable to stall in fear of losing that gig.
    I went to cancel the process for interview B but as can be expected, recruiter B was trying to convince me to take whichever offer is better.

    Reputation and word do mean a lot to me. However, I also am human so a 14 mile round trip each day is far better than a 90 mile round trip. Equally, the daily rate is more. I don't know how else I should have played it. I would have lost out on contract A if I stalled and although highly likely, it is not guaranteed that I will get contract B.
    You've already signed contract A, yes?
    Have you asked agent B if they'll pay your costs of getting out of it?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    There will be no financial penalty for getting out of contract A.
    It is the moral/reputational penalty that concerns me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.