• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You can use our licence....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can use our licence....

Am on site at client offices, have been 7 weeks, and they have tests that use the MS fakes library stuff which ships with Visual Studio enterprise edition.

I, as working for my Ltd. Co, have MSDN professional. This means that I can't build and run the clients test projects, which they want.

They understand the situation and have offered to install the enterpsie edition on a dev machine of theirs and let me use that.

Wondering what you'd do, as i can see it i have choices of:
    • Buy enterprise package at £4k +
    • Use their dodgy, as already in use by their dev, this is not a "spare", licence
    • Inform the client and agency that gonna have to let them down as don't have tools to execute the work.

Personally if you using it all the time on client site then I'd but it myself, if not then I'd remote desktop onto the client dev machine for when I need to use it.

Comment

IMO always best to use the client's equipment where possible, most clients prefer this anyway as they don't want their code taking off site.
      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Their machine, their software, their licenses.

Let them worry about it.

I wouldn't eat a £4k or whatever cost.

If I'd known about it an advance, I'd have added it to the price.

Comment

Have always been happier using my own gear/licences.

Surely if you just get a gig to come on site and use all their gear then you are just a paid holiday away from being identified as an employee?

Comment

Not really if everyone else is the same.

Most places I've worked simply won't let you bring a laptop on site.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
              Have always been happier using my own gear/licences.

Surely if you just get a gig to come on site and use all their gear then you are just a paid holiday away from being identified as an employee?
              Absolutely not. As jmo21 said, there's the whole issue of connecting to corporate networks, accepting that you're going to have them potentially adding stuff to your laptop, etc. That's without the other good point about IP rights and not wanting code to leave client site.

While I agree that you personally can normally operate that way, not everybody can; we have security zones in operation that would prevent my laptop getting anywhere near the corporate database that I'd be working on.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Absolutely not. As jmo21 said, there's the whole issue of connecting to corporate networks, accepting that you're going to have them potentially adding stuff to your laptop, etc. That's without the other good point about IP rights and not wanting code to leave client site.

While I agree that you personally can normally operate that way, not everybody can; we have security zones in operation that would prevent my laptop getting anywhere near the corporate database that I'd be working on.
                Indeed, but would it not fail IR35 compliance points... I.e. By using client's resources, machine or software, et al.?
                This seems to be one of the standard point or question in IR35 checklist though that contributes to determine the working practices fail, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
                  Indeed, but would it not fail IR35 compliance points... I.e. By using client's resources, machine or software, et al.?
                  This seems to be one of the standard point or question in IR35 checklist though that contributes to determine the working practices fail, etc.
                  If your IR35 position depends on this you are not in a good situation.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    If your IR35 position depends on this you are not in a good situation.
                    Yes, but the "IR35" situation is a bunch of tests/checks, which all add up to a decision.

Surely mitigating as many is what keeps us out of harms way no?

Comment

Working...
                    X