• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LBG Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Which side of Bristol are they based or is it bang in the centre?
    LBG is central, a short ferry ride rom the train station. TSB also have roles on the go in Bristol at the moment and they're based out at Aztec West, on the M4/M5 junction.

Rates are v poor though.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
      LBG is central, a short ferry ride rom the train station. TSB also have roles on the go in Bristol at the moment and they're based out at Aztec West, on the M4/M5 junction.

Rates are v poor though.
      Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Stuff that.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

After telling them that I wasn't interested at the rates they were offering and also that they need to pay more than peanuts, the agent has just contacted me and said that the rate is up by 25%.

So current contract is up Mid April, timing couldn't be better.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I've been at LBG Bristol for a while now. I'm in the harbourside office (which is mainly insurance), can't speak for Canon's house. It's one of the better clients I've worked for, there are many contractors here so management know how we work.

I've heard people in IT mention a "company wide rate cut" but there is no such thing here in actuarial, so it's not actually company wide. There are a good few of us here in actuarial on 1k+ a day.

It's quite a central location, 15-20 minute walk from Temple Meads train station.

Nearby rents are around 850-950pcm for a 1 bed flat. There are a few cheap hotels nearby too (Ibis, Travelodge). There are also serviced apartments aimed at contractors and short term workers. If you want to commute from further out, you'd be best using a bike - traffic is horrendous at peak hours, and although we have flexible hours (start before 10, finish after 4), it's very hard to beat the traffic.

The function I'm working for are okay with WFH for contractors too. Some of us a WFH on a Friday so we can travel home on a Thursday evening, and a few start late on a Monday so they can commute from home on Monday morning.

There are also hundreds of projects going on at the moment too, so extensions are common (assuming you are good!). One project finishes and another comes up.

Bear in mind not all of this will be relevant to IT (assuming that's what you do).
          Last edited by Curtains; 26 March 2016, 17:37.

Comment

Bear in mind not all of this will be relevant to IT (assuming that's what you do)
            Certainly isn't, as you would have realised should you have read the rest of the thread.

I should have listened to my dear old Mum and become an Actuary.

At least LBG doesn't treat everyone like sh1t
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Certainly isn't, as you would have realised should you have read the rest of the thread.

I should have listened to my dear old Mum and become an Actuary.

At least LBG doesn't treat everyone like sh1t
              I did read the whole thread but saw no mention about what type of work OP would be doing.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood what you were getting at - So LBG isn't the place to be for IT workers then I take it?

Another, unrelated note:
              I mainly only come into contact with BA/PM/Actuarial contractors, and I do come across some (mainly BA/PM) who are not very good at their job (And are known for not being good). They still seem to manage to secure extension after extension however.
              Last edited by Curtains; 26 March 2016, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtains View Post
                I did read the whole thread but saw no mention about what type of work OP would be doing.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood what you were getting at - So LBG isn't the place to be for IT workers then I take it?

Another, unrelated note:
                I mainly only come into contact with BA/PM/Actuarial contractors, and I do come across some (mainly BA/PM) who are not very good at their job (And are known for not being good). They still seem to manage to secure extension after extension however.
                Yep, we are mostly IT related workers on here. It's interesting to hear the someone doing something different
                Not a great place to contract in IT, as many have told me.

The world is full of incompetent Contractors, regardless of discipline.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                X