• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What % Increase Is Typical on Contract Extension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

51 week rule? Care to elaborate?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Clueless clients sometimes have a rule in place that states no contractor can work for them for more than 51 weeks in any 12 month period. Supposedly protects them from claims for employment rights, holiday pay etc.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        Clueless clients sometimes have a rule in place that states no contractor can work for them for more than 51 weeks in any 12 month period. Supposedly protects them from claims for employment rights, holiday pay etc.
        Bollocks does it. Only a proper B2B contract can do that. When will these idiots learn?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
          Bollocks does it. Only a proper B2B contract can do that. When will these idiots learn?
          I did say they were clueless.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

yep, getting stung on an 11 month max - no return in less than 3 months trick in here. brilliant if you can guarantee the return.
            Strangely, cons brought in before the rule are allowed to stay as long as required !!!
            Defo ask for a rate rise on return, they want you, you have valuable local knowledge that means you will be up to speed v quick and comparable roles are already getting more - it's a no brainer.

Comment

Cheers Lukemg,

Thought this was the best way forward, but never harms to get a second opinion.

Bunts

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                Anything under 12 months, I'd say 0%.
                Yes, try this analogy: last week your local taxi-driver took you home from the pub for a tenner. What increase do you think would be normal this week?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                  If there is a risk to the agency that they might loose out ...
                  lose.

Whare have all the pedants gone, do I have to do this myself?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                    lose.

Whare have all the pedants gone, do I have to do this myself?
                    Where have all the pedants gone? Do I have to do this myself?

HTH
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

I got a 25% increase at the first renewal stage about a year ago - negotiations directly with the client.

I started at the minimum offered by the agency (rate: x-y £/hr) and I asked for the top amount when the renewal came around. Seemed to be quite fair to me - the agency were touting the role for that much in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X