• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you hold more than £75,000 in one bank?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you hold more than £75,000 in one bank?

The deposit compensation limit has been reduced to £75,000 this year.

Would you keep more that this amount in any one bank? (am talking about business funds in business accounts).

To avoid going over this limit, I'm looking for an business savings account, that pays decent interest and can be setup online (ideally with no more than 30 days' notice required for withdrawal). I already have accounts with Cater Allen, Aldermore and Cambridge and Counties, so am looking for another bank.

Any recommendations?

Unless I had at least hundreds of thousands of pounds, probably not, but it can be fun to have a lot of accounts lying about for any lucky relatives after you kick the bucket - like a treasure hunt!

Comment

Wait until they take it away completely, that will be a game changer

They will then be able to steal your money, totally legally
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Pre-Great Depression such things didn't exist and people got on just fine, didn't they? I think a banker's word that my money is safe is good enough!

Comment

If you're contracting long-term, there's not a lot you can do about it at a certain point. However, I wouldn't keep more than the limit in a second-tier institution (FWIW..... TBH if one of the too-big-to-fail banks went down, that FSCS protection probably wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on). I wouldn't keep a large amount in an institution that is covered by a foreign equivalent of FSCS. For example, I wouldn't bank with RCI, even though they're top of the league tables for personal accounts. For business accounts, there are others like State Bank of India that are covered by FSCS, but I'd personally avoid them too. For business accounts, you've noted the two obvious ones. Nationwide have a good easy-access business account too (no online access though). I'm getting 1%, but I see they've dropped that to 0.8% recently (~1% for 95-day access):

Business Saver Accounts & Corporate Savings | Nationwide Commercial

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
            I think a banker's word that my money is safe is good enough!
            Sure, right.....errrrrrmmmm...
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
              The deposit compensation limit has been reduced to £75,000 this year.

Would you keep more that this amount in any one bank? (am talking about business funds in business accounts).

To avoid going over this limit, I'm looking for an business savings account, that pays decent interest and can be setup online (ideally with no more than 30 days' notice required for withdrawal). I already have accounts with Cater Allen, Aldermore and Cambridge and Counties, so am looking for another bank.

Any recommendations?
              I'd potentially look at getting money out of corporate banks with minimal interest rates and get it working for me properly rather than having several hundred thousand sat there earning a grand a year interest.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Sure, right.....errrrrrmmmm...
                Hey they got a lot of money out of the government a few years ago and they didn't even have to pay it all back. Just imagine what they could do for you.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I'd potentially look at getting money out of corporate banks with minimal interest rates and get it working for me properly rather than having several hundred thousand sat there earning a grand a year interest.
                  Doing what though? I don't want to take any risks with it, it took a long time to earn!

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Hey they got a lot of money out of the government a few years ago and they didn't even have to pay it all back. Just imagine what they could do for you.
                    I don't need to imagine anything, who the hell do you think actually paid for the last bank bail out?

Yup, the public

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    Doing what though? I don't want to take any risks with it, it took a long time to earn!
                    Booze, coke, hookers, then feel free to waste some of it...
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X