• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts ads with no rate - what do you do with them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts ads with no rate - what do you do with them?

I understand by keeping the rate they are prepared to pay many clients/agents hope to find someone who asks for less than market rate or amount they are prepared to pay. How do you deal with that situations?
    What do you do?
    - disclose your rate expectations
    - ignore them
    - tell an agent that it's for him/her and the client to provide the rate - this way you are in better position to negotiate

I usually find an advert with no rate (or 'market rate') usually means a crap rate...

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
      I understand by keeping the rate they are prepared to pay many clients/agents hope to find someone who asks for less than market rate or amount they are prepared to pay. How do you deal with that situations?
      What do you do?
      - disclose your rate expectations
      - ignore them
      - tell an agent that it's for him/her and the client to provide the rate - this way you are in better position to negotiate
      Crap rates.

Always results in a "What is the minimum you would accept?" from agent. Which they will try and negotiate down.

Without a very detailed job description that allows me to price accordingly, I move on.

And remember, some agents will claim to put you forward at your "high" rate, asking you to sign a representation agreement and then not put you forward. They simply don't want you competing with the canditates they are putting forward that they will get a higher margin on.

Comment

I usually apply. Then when they ask me about rate I ask what they are paying. They usually have an idea - they just don't like disclosing it on an advert.

Occasionally they say they want me to suggest a rate. Then whatever I want is too high so I walk.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          Crap rates.

Always results in a "What is the minimum you would accept?" from agent. Which they will try and negotiate down.

Without a very detailed job description that allows me to price accordingly, I move on.
          Not necessarily.

Though there are some particular agents from some agencies who repeatedly will phone you up with different roles with cr*p rates. I end up being increasingly rude to them before just blocking their agency phone number.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have been on projects before, where different agents have been calling for what seems like the same role.
            Rates varied widely and I accepted, through a well known financial recruiter, at the top of the scale.

While I was engaged there, I found that there were actually multiple roles, the same discipline.

The enagager had put the role through a number of different agencies, as he wanted 5 junior people and 2 senior.

He used different agencies for the junior and senior roles.
            This explained to me the rate differential being offered, depending on the agency concerned.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              I usually find an advert with no rate (or 'market rate') usually means a crap rate...
              MArket rate = rate is so bad you'd be better off selling potatoes in the market.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

"What's the highest rate you're offering?"

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I usually apply. Then when they ask me about rate I ask what they are paying. They usually have an idea - they just don't like disclosing it on an advert.

Occasionally they say they want me to suggest a rate. Then whatever I want is too high so I walk.
                  This.

The agent will invariably come back with "well, the client is only paying £x00", and I reply "OK, thanks anyway."
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X