• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking extra dividends to buy properry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    in a similar situation to OP here

in the middle of a new purchase was planning on putting down 20% and using remaining savings to add some value to the property with extensions etc, thought i would need to draw additional dividends to cover some of work

accountant advised it was probably better to only put down 5% / 10% and retaine as much cash as possible, then look for a new mortgage deal in 2 years to bring monthly payments down to desired levels
    Each to their own, but the more equity I have in a home the comfier I feel. You'll also get better deals with at least 15% down.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Similar situation here.

I am already over the threshold so I'm gonna rip it out this tax year and prepare myself for the pain of a large tax bill as a result - but better than paying an extra 7.5% next year for the same amount.

Comment

Just remember that, if it's a one-off dividend at the higher rate, you can have any payment on account reduced to zero for the next tax year, but be aware of the consequences of having a liability that is earning interest if it turns out not to be a one-off. If you don't reduce the payment on account, you'll be in for an even bigger shock...

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Each to their own, but the more equity I have in a home the comfier I feel. You'll also get better deals with at least 15% down.
          i'm with you on a highest % equity as possible

if it works out i can search for a new deal in two years with increased LTV, and get a decent rate (fingers crossed touch wood etc etc)

Comment

Take all the dividends you can. Property is a one-way bet. It can only go up.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I've said it once, I'll say it again....

You can't lose, fill your firkin boots, while you can, time is running out!
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                What a ridiculous statement......maybe long term you could argue that on average, but depending on your circumstances this is wholly inaccurate.

Speaking from experience after a split from my missus right in the middle of the house price crash.
                There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
                  What a ridiculous statement......maybe long term you could argue that on average, but depending on your circumstances this is wholly inaccurate.
                  You, sir, obviously, do not read the right papers.

They are going to go up, forever
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Just remember that, if it's a one-off dividend at the higher rate, you can have any payment on account reduced to zero for the next tax year, but be aware of the consequences of having a liability that is earning interest if it turns out not to be a one-off. If you don't reduce the payment on account, you'll be in for an even bigger shock...
                    Sorry is that to me, or about some form of loan?

I'm taking it as dividends and have no idea what most of your sentance is about?

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
                      Sorry is that to me, or about some form of loan?

I'm taking it as dividends and have no idea what most of your sentance is about?
                      If you have tax to pay, HMRC may assume that this is a regular thing and demand advance payment for the following year. Rather than pay this, you can reduce that payment demand, if you think that you won't need to pay tax.

The danger is that if you reduce it to £0 and you then owe tax, HMRC will charge you interest for not paying early.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X