• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Steep agency markup.. just a rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steep agency markup.. just a rant

My line manager would occasionally compliment me in meetings by saying "that's why we pay you big bucks.." Which I always find strange as I might be on higher end in my UX industry, but it's kind of average rate.

Once curiosity reached it's limits I asked him what exactly they are paying the agency, to my surprise agency is charging them 45% on my invoice since I started the gig year ago, which tells the reason why client thinks they are paying me big bucks. Nothing can be done really but, I am seriously pissed.

Originally posted by saad View Post
    My line manager would
    Fail !

HTH

Comment

I might be on higher end... but it's kind of average .
      Stick with UX. Don't go anywhere near quant stuff, MI, etc ...
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Absence of senior and reasonable members of this forum is strongly felt.

Comment

Meh, folks here have markups in the region £300-£400 per day. Now that you know, take some of it for yourself on renewal.

Comment

I remember discovering the 108% markup on my first contract. Amusing now looking back.
            I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

At least you know there's margin at next renewal - getting the agent (or pimp in this case!) down to 20% shouldn't be too difficult given that you've earned the extension, not them.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Absence of PC is strongly felt.
                FTFY

Comment

A while back I went for an interview at Capital One. I met the agent beforehand and he - to be fair - did fess up he was going to mark me up 4 times.

Whilst working for a small consultancy on a client site, I acquired a new bloke who discovered we always took a 40% margin ie we were charging about double what he was getting. It was still an above average rate but he never managed to deal with it. Never bothered me.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

It bothers me enough that I am going to work very, very hard to go direct to my future roles.
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X