• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the importance of this clause ? Please help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    According to the clause, you could.
    same as we can all send a substitute from day 1!

Comment

I think the main difference here is that going through an agency, they are more than happy to ensure that the contract is IR35 friendly as not doing so would mean they would loose business.

Going directly to a company that I don't think employ that many contractors means they get cold feet drafting contracts like this. They were asking me that they could also put me on a fixed term contract and i would be paid from the payroll, and its making me think, whats the point of being a contractor then ?

Comment

But your contract is IR35 friendly? You say QDOS only suggested that was put in. I'm assuming it was a pass but that clause would be nice. We would all love that clause but there is little to no chance of most of us getting it in.
        Are you sure you are not making an issue where there isn't one?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But your contract is IR35 friendly? You say QDOS only suggested that was put in. I'm assuming it was a pass but that clause would be nice. We would all love that clause but there is little to no chance of most of us getting it in.
          Are you sure you are not making an issue where there isn't one?
          QDOS marked the contract as a fail for 3 reasons. For Clarity, I have copied and pasted what qdos said below. The client has agreed to insert all 3 clauses apart from the clause that I have numbered 2.

Below is the extract from the qdos review.

A FAIL result means that in our expert opinion your contract falls inside of IR35 meaning that you could be
          considered a disguised employee by agreeing to work to these terms. If the following changes could be made
          to the contract we would consider this contract outside IR35.

The contract does not contain clauses relating to the three key test which are used to determine IR35 status,
          namely right of substitution, mutuality of obligation and control. I recommend that a clause is added to cover
          these issues, please see my example clauses below:

1) The Consultant shall provide the services using suitably qualified personnel of their own choosing. The
          Consultant reserves the right to substitute any personnel, provided the client is reasonably satisfied that the
          substitute possesses the necessary skills and qualifications for the satisfactory completion of the services.

2) The Consultant will remain liable for the services completed by substitute personnel and will bear any costs.
          Client shall have no right to, nor shall seek to, exercise any direction, control, or supervision over the
          Consultant in the provision of the services. The Consultant shall endeavour to co-operate with client
          reasonable requests within the scope of the services, however it is acknowledged that the Consultant shall
          have autonomy over their working methods.

3) Client is under no obligation to offer further contracts or services to the Consultant nor is the Consultant under
          obligation to accept such contracts or services if offered. The Consultant is not obliged to make its services
          available except for the performance of its obligations under this Agreement. Both parties agree and intend
          that there be no mutuality of obligations either during or following the agreement, whatsoever.

Additionally, within the Services and Deliverables section in the schedule, this suggests you are providing
          personnel. This should be amended to read “During the Term, Consultant shall provide Client with services as
          a Technical resource to support (client products).”

Comment

Wow, that's quite a spectacular fail if it needs all that to fix it. My first through reading through that is that these are pretty key clauses to be missing and affects the way the client engages with the contractor substantially, if it's missing and they are so willing to put it in I can't help thinking they are just paying lip service to it all. For example if they don't allow a sub I can't believe they will change their mind with just that clause adding and really allow one when you are on site. I can't help thinking the working practices won't change one jot.

I think you are gonna have to make a decision on this one. I'd be very concerned about this gig and would seriously consider turning it down unless there are some very good reasons not to i.e. I'm about to lose my house, fantastic new tech, above market rate. If there is other stuff coming up I'd be tempted to wait... It looks like it's going to come down to your call I am afraid.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
              I think the main difference here is that going through an agency, they are more than happy to ensure that the contract is IR35 friendly as not doing so would mean they would loose business.

Going directly to a company that I don't think employ that many contractors means they get cold feet drafting contracts like this. They were asking me that they could also put me on a fixed term contract and i would be paid from the payroll, and its making me think, whats the point of being a contractor then ?
              I realise I am repeating myself here but - what are you going to be doing? What's the role? Could you provide a substitute? Will you be supervised? Will you receive direction? Are there permies there already doing a similar job?

You can have what you like written into a contract but it has to be representative of your actual working practices otherwise it's not really worth the paper it's written on
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

If you've got an IR35 contract as advised by QDOS and working practices would trump this clause, then it's simply a case of managing your working practices. If there's more than one way of achieving something then it may be that there are declared coding standards that need to be adhered to, e.g. all ETL via the ETL tool rather than hand-cut SQL.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  I realise I am repeating myself here but - what are you going to be doing? What's the role? Could you provide a substitute? Will you be supervised? Will you receive direction? Are there permies there already doing a similar job?

You can have what you like written into a contract but it has to be representative of your actual working practices otherwise it's not really worth the paper it's written on
                  looks like bos support role

“During the Term, Consultant shall provide Client with services as

Comment

The role is that of a technical consultant to manage their systems.
                    The rate is pretty pretty good and slightly above market rates, but I do want piece of mind.

So what i am struggling with is taking this role and having an instance 20% rise on my current rate or staying put with existing gig which uses a IR35 compliant contract all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      looks like bos support role

“During the Term, Consultant shall provide Client with services as
                      will you be the only person in the company performing the role or will you be working as support to an existing department?
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X