• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to claim JSA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Haven't read it all.

In my experience, I've NEVER been asked how much is left in the company. They do ask how much savings you've got though - pretty sure it wasn't as low as that last time I did it.
    Never being asked but knowing its part of the process and not declaring it is fraud. Just because you werent asked is not defence when you get caught and up with a record.

If any contractor can hand on heart declare they don't have 16k in both personal and business savings really should be re-thinking what they are doing.

If they can then go ahead and claim cause you are in a bloody awful place.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Mods: Worth a sticky?
      No. Next.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Never being asked but knowing its part of the process and not declaring it is fraud. Just because you werent asked is not defence when you get caught and up with a record.

If any contractor can hand on heart declare they don't have 16k in both personal and business savings really should be re-thinking what they are doing.

Lets hope no one turns "Queens"
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I was asked to provide company profit and loss statements for the last year. At that point I decided I CBA'd claiming it and didn't send back the form. But they gave me JSA anyway.

I think it's different whether you're getting contribution based or income based. You should be able to get the former regardless of means, but only for 6 months, and after that it's means tested.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Zero in company last time I claimed anyway so irrelevant.

I did have less than £16K last time. Really. Paid off some hefty debts during my first year back.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I was asked to provide company profit and loss statements for the last year. At that point I decided I CBA'd claiming it and didn't send back the form. But they gave me JSA anyway.

I think it's different whether you're getting contribution based or income based. You should be able to get the former regardless of means, but only for 6 months, and after that it's means tested.
              Ah maybe then. It was contrib based I had.

Got no chance for the other if partner works.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that was for income based. I didn't think I could get contribution based as I resigned a previous job, but that's what I got (for 3 weeks). Nobody at the Job Centre seemed to know what the rules were, and that CUK article isn't very clear either.

And just to add to the wierdness I ended up paying tax on my JSA too.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

bloody peasants with less than 16k in savings, how do they put food on their tables, what's the point in living

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    bloody peasants with less than 16k in savings, how do they put food on their tables, what's the point in living
                    You joke but 2+ months on the bench and this could be a worry.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                      He actually said:-

16k in both personal and business savings

I also agree, if you haven't got this then you would be pretty insolvent, especially given you will possibly need to find corp tax, NI, accountancy fees etc. etc. out of this figure.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X