• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anybody know the significance of agencies asking "what is your current rate"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An agent rang me at 8.15 this morning. I was still in bed. He says he was ringing because he has an eCommerce client who wants lots of Java devs. I say I'm only interested in finance. He then asked me what I do in my current role. I asked why he needs this information (he had an eCommerce client after all). He then said, slightly irratated, that he needs to tell clients this info when putting me before them. I hung up.

Bad form from me?
    Last edited by heyya99; 30 September 2015, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
      An agent rang me at 8.15 this morning. I was still in bed. He says he was ringing because he has an eCommerce client who wants lots of Java devs. I say I'm only interested in finance. He then asked me what I do in my current role. I asked why he needs this information (he had an eCommerce client after all). He then said, slightly irratated, that he needs to tell clients this info when putting me before them. I hung up.

Bad form from me?
      Nope hes a ****, HTH.

Comment

Bad form from me?
        You know most phones have a setting to only allow family and friends to call at certain times e.g. when you are in bed. Stops agents like that thinking they are clever by calling people early.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Many moons ago when I did recruitment I would ask the question to see whether you'd be interested in the role I had. Too low = alarm bells about seniority, About right = fair chance of you accepting and too high = You wouldn't go for it.

In my experience Rate, Location and Technology were the key factors in a contractors though process.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
            Many moons ago when I did recruitment I would ask the question to see whether you'd be interested in the role I had. Too low = alarm bells about seniority, About right = fair chance of you accepting and too high = You wouldn't go for it.

In my experience Rate, Location and Technology were the key factors in a contractors though process.
            Are recruitment agents scum or are we contractors just bitter that someone else is taking part in what is a lucrative game?

Comment

Are recruitment agents scum or are we contractors just bitter that someone else is taking part in what is a lucrative game?
              Really? Those are the only two choices you can think of?

Comment

Or some contractors just need to grow some and deal with things a little better rather than getting the hump and seeing it as a war possibly?

Bad form from me?
                Yes.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Yes.
                  How so? It's 8am and I'm having to deal with yet another unprofessional person. I'm actually very courteous to agents who are professional. This dude was another cowboy, probably with little-to-no education.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Or some contractors just need to grow some and deal with things a little better rather than getting the hump and seeing it as a war possibly?

Yes.
                    Well regards to certain chappy in computerfutures, who was very convincing its a real deal this time. Never heard from him after giving references, not even thank you for supplying them. Would hang up with that moron straight away if heard from him again

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                      Well regards to certain chappy in computerfutures, who was very convincing its a real deal this time. Never heard from him after giving references, not even thank you for supplying them. Would hang up with that moron straight away if heard from him again
                      You even started the conversation with him knowing he was from Computer Futures?

Please ignore them.
                      I never touch them!
                      Even if they would talk about a fake role (which is what almost all of their adverts are for), all their roles are in the bob kind of low rates as well!

Comment

Working...
                      X