• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not much work to do in current contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much work to do in current contract.

Started a SC Cleared gig a month ago, 4 weeks on and there is no work to do, wondering why they recruited me.
    This is not the first time which has happened to me though, few years back when i worked for a Reputed Bank same happened
    In my 6 months contract all i did was attending fire drills and security and compliance training.
    Even before that when i was a permie and was working my ass off on a migration project with a strict deadline,
    A contractor was hired to work alongside me, for the first few months he came at 8:00 sharp but all he did was browsed internet
    most of the day, do his expenses, go for a long lunch, fill his timesheets and go home at 4pm.
    Not sure about his technical skills but somehow he managed to have good PR skills which made him last for a year with no work
    to do.

Long time since then, now i am in the same position as him and wondering if that is a very common thing in contracting.
    Resource forecast & Budgeting doesn't relate to the work load in the Project or Team.

The reasons which i assume could be either of them.

-The contractor is required for a particular project and that is not kicked off yet. The Project code is not approved.
    The deal with the end client has not finalized yet.

-Contractor is brought in to ease the work pressure within the Team, but the permies don't want to share their workload thinking the contractor can become a critical resource and make them redundant.

-Same like above the contractor is brought in to match the headcount within the Team, Even though there is not enough work but management wants the headcount to be correct, as once in a year there is a DR activity and couple of staff have taken leave.
    So being a top-notch DBA/Unix Admin/SAP Consultant all he is doing is running batch jobs and doing ftp.

-Poor communication among the different departments within the organisation. They can't decide when exactly to take a resource and when not.

-A fixing from the Top-management who have done an over forecasting for resources and allocated funds. They want to have small piece of that huge cake say 5% of the 500,000 budget by bringing in contractors or they simply want to tally the number in Accounts with the resource forecast vs resource allocated, once recruited doesn't matter they do any work or not.

Such contracts doesn't really add any value to your knowledge and skills.
    In my current role I know there are many areas where i can show my skills to benefit the organisation.
    And i did approach to Line Manager/s modestly if i could be any help to them.
    Not a very warm response i got as "i won't be able to charge time against the project code other people are working".

Please share your thoughts.

Must feel like an odd situation, but probably not entirely uncommon under any number of circumstances as outlined in your post.

Just make the most of it I guess. If you're bored and another better offer comes along, go for it.

Comment

Is your timesheet being approved? Are your invoices being paid? Are they letting you in to and out of the building?

If you are appear to be asking for work and there is no work on offer, either tell the client that you are taking yourself off site unpaid, quit the contract, or just carry on regardless.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It's really simple and you're analysing it too much.

Management decide that Team A needs 6 people. Therefore Team A will have 6 people, regardless of whether Team A has work for 3 people or 20 people.

Comment

Are the permies all SC cleared?

Comment

Standard for a lot of wasted time for the first week or two at some places. Never ceases to amaze me that certain clients say its urgent, that rate is an issue etc, then are willing to let contractor sit there for days because no-one has been arsed to sort out the basics like logon/desk etc.
            Even started one place and they didnt know I was coming. Manager was on holidays and had left no instrutcions so bugger all happened that week.

Then again the permie thing. Worked one place where the permies were like small children. No way would they let the contractors do anything, just the basic boring stuff. As soon as it got a little involved they steamed in and took it off. Even then refused to discuss it afterwards or even tell you how it turned out.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...-invoicing.png
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I had an ex-colleague who had the same thing, he went to a SC cleared contract and did nothing for ages. Seems quite a common thing judging by your post

Comment

This does sometimes happen in contracting. Who knows why. One place I contracted had hired too many windows guys into the team. I mean, they only needed one but ended up with three, purely because a manager hired the wrong people. The 3 chaps were bored and somewhat annoyed (one had left another contract, and all traveled far).

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    This does sometimes happen in contracting. Who knows why. One place I contracted had hired too many windows guys into the team. I mean, they only needed one but ended up with three, purely because a manager hired the wrong people. The 3 chaps were bored and somewhat annoyed (one had left another contract, and all traveled far).
                    Aye been there done that. All well and good to say carry on invoicing but it does your chunk after a bit. Only so much web surfing/looking busy you can do in a day.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X