• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

baleing out of an implied c o n t r a c t - how easy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baleing out of an implied c o n t r a c t - how easy?

I've just finished a 6 month contract (ended 2nd April) and was told of a 2 month extension on April, which now may be 6 months. BUT I've landed a better offer with a co I'd rather work for anyway.

Given that I've not signed any extension (haven't even seen the terms of it yet) are there likely to be any legal consequences is I say to my boss 'sorry but I'll finish what I'm doing in the next couple of weeks then I'm off'.

I've been working without a signed contract for the last couple of weeks with on the assumption that the extension will appear. I presume they have to pay me?

Ignore

(This message was left blank)

Comment

what is obscene about c o n t r a c t?

.... as it blanked it out in the original post before I editted it?

Anyway - can I bale without consequences?

Comment

Re: what is obscene about c o n t r a c t?

In my opinion. if you have no contract then they have no hold over you so you can walk. (Is this the behavioiur of a profesional ?)

but

they may not have to pay you either, because of there being no contract

I'd be up front with your customer and say that you have no plans to extend and you want to leave on xx/xx/xxxx and then see what there say.

Comment

Re: baling out of an implied c o n t r a c t - how easy?

If you really want out, you could argue that not having seen your new contract yet is putting you under unacceptable stress blah blah, but that rather than walking off site, you'd be glad to help the customer out for the next 2 weeks, provided you get paid.

Make it a business argument, not an emotional one.

Comment

testing : @#%$ @#%$ @#%$ @#%$ will they work ?

Dont I remember that there is some sort of implied auto extension if both parties continue to follow the terms of the original contract ?

Whats the notice period ? If that fits in with your plans I would give notice, reguardless of law its always better to stay on decent terms.

( cont cint cent cant )

Comment

Re: testing : @#%$ @#%$ @#%$ @#%$ will they work ?

The notice is 1 month either way but the new client may want me there quicker. Obviously I will try to limit damage with the current client, but not to the extent of jeopardising my chances with the new one.

Comment

Working...
              X