• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much info should you put on your LinkedIn profile?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Listening to other contractors their LinkedIn profile are generic so they can be a bit more liberal with the truth on their CVs.

You've seen right through me but coffee's for closers
    Last edited by Antman; 9 June 2015, 13:06. Reason: make it less cryptic

Comment

Someone at work looked at my profile and I was immediately notified. Creepy.

Comment

Listening to other contractors their LinkedIn profile are generic so they can be a bit more liberal with the truth on their CVs.
        Not so much liberal with the truth but I presume Im not the only one who maybe 'focuses' CVs for a role.

I deal in two main techs - so most often roles are more one than the other. Since I struggle to get it all on my CV (Im a two pager) some stuff has to be more detailed than the other.

If you assume LinkedIn is the 'generic' version then it does confuse agents when they see your CV differently focused.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          Someone at work looked at my profile and I was immediately notified. Creepy.
          Always wary about adding people from current gig into linked in. Just in case they offer extension and I want to put on linked in that Im available to see whats around. Then again sometimes can focus attention a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Always wary about adding people from current gig into linked in. Just in case they offer extension and I want to put on linked in that Im available to see whats around. Then again sometimes can focus attention a bit!
            Seen that happen. Guy I used to work with always left looking for opportunities in his linked in just in case something better came up. Consultancy noticed and his status with them dropped like a rock. Just treated him like a body rather than valued resource and was the first out when a contractor cull happened. Very stupid thing to do IMO..

I've not had enough work through linkedin in to risk ruining relationships with clients TBH.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Depends when and how you do it, nothing wrong with saying "will be avialble from xxx" 3 or 4 weeks before the end date.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Depends when and how you do it, nothing wrong with saying "will be avialble from xxx" 3 or 4 weeks before the end date.
                I agree. It goes on my status 3/4 weeks before end date. If client sees it then I dont think it bothers them too much - at that point, I am available after all.

However, when a client does sort out an extension I will take it down.

And deffo wouldnt be touting mid-contract if client could see my status.

Comment

Seen that happen. Guy I used to work with always left looking for opportunities in his linked in just in case something better came up. Consultancy noticed and his status with them dropped like a rock. Just treated him like a body rather than valued resource and was the first out when a contractor cull happened. Very stupid thing to do IMO..

I've not had enough work through linkedin in to risk ruining relationships with clients TBH.
                  Was this just near the end of permanently?
                  I see nothing wrong with putting a theoretical available from x date 3/4 weeks before the end unless extension is already sorted.

I would be a bit put out if a client expected me not to look because they expected me to wait down to the wire and automatically accept any last min extension. There are some like that.

Fortunately, current client sorts out extensions well far in advance. Works for them because then I have no chance to see something else lol.

Comment

No he had it on all the time. We asked him why and told him that doesn't look good but he was adamant it was a good idea. Just looked now as it happens and it's not on anymore. Lesson learned it seems.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ive seen some people put stuff like 'Im eagerly looking for my next exciting and challenging contract from (date)' or 'I run to fires' etc, etc.

So I added a line to mine 'Do you have a dull, boring, over budget project that's lacking organisation? if so, give me a call or mail me at ........'

My in box is overflowing and Ive had to divert all calls to VM!
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X