• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contractor - Advice on Agencies Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contractor - Advice on Agencies Please

I am about to hand in my notice but having found this forum today am quite nervous after reading some of the posts about agencies.

I have been working for the NHS for 14 years, have been PM for National IT deployment projects for 5 years, successfully deployed some IT related projects as well. Used to be the Web Development Manager there and have some programming skills. We were the first trust to move 4000+ users from Windows XP to Windows 7. I am technical have a Masters Degree in Health Informatics and Prince 2 and MSP.

I don't have any savings - but can type really well - have over 12 years experience as a secretary and would be prepared to temp if I couldn't get any contracting work. I live in Dorset but have free accommodation in Stansted in Essex during the week so can work in London.

I have been contacted almost daily by agencies over the last six months telling me that I will not have a problem getting work at all as I have really solid experience and a very strong CV. But reading the boards, it would seem that agencies lie!

I am 46 this year. My rationale for doing this is - 1. there is nothing in Dorset for me to move to. 2. to expand my skillset and move into Programme Management 3. find out what its like in the real world again 4. if i leave it to long I am going to be a PM in Dorset forever. 5. If i leave it any longer I am going to be too old.

I am planning to set up a Limited Company and I have an accountant on standby as soon as I am ready to commence.

I have been planning this for a year - hoping that somebody would wait the 3 months notice I currently have to give. But I knew that it was unlikely that would happen.

Do you think I have my bases covered?

I look forward to your advice. Exx
    Last edited by southerngal; 21 May 2015, 08:36.

My advice, get a good accountant..... a lot of agencies recommend Churchill Knight, who are a shambles.

I use a good company these days who i have no issues with.

Comment

Simple, get contract signed and sealed, then hand in your notice

Typing fast will come in handy

Comment

I was offered a good one in January but they couldn't wait. I have been hoping to find a contract that will wait my 3 month's notice. I have three months' notice to give because of my grade.

Comment

Originally posted by leejohnson28 View Post
          My advice, get a good accountant..... a lot of agencies recommend Churchill Knight, who are a shambles.

I use a good company these days who i have no issues with.
          +1 to that! Wonder why so many pimps recommend their useless service anyone would think they were getting a kickback...

Comment

reg flag = 'no savings'

Recommend you search warchest and keep an eye on the payment terms in any contract you sign.

Comment

Warchest?

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
              reg flag = 'no savings'

Recommend you search warchest and keep an eye on the payment terms in any contract you sign.
              Hi I am sorry what is Warchest?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                Simple, get contract signed and sealed, then hand in your notice

Typing fast will come in handy
                Thank you Tabera, but I have to give 3 months because of my grade. Have been trying to do that - got offered one in January but they wouldn't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by southerngal View Post
                  Thank you Tabera, but I have to give 3 months because of my grade. Have been trying to do that - got offered one in January but they wouldn't wait.
                  Negotiate that notice period down to a month/6 weeks maybe?

Comment

I am going to hand my notice in, but when I do its actually going to be a month or so before my project is due to end. I will be happy to stay on with them to finish the project and anything else they need me to do but will ask if they will accept a month's notice from then on. That way I am covered if it takes a while to get a contract. Whether they would accept that is a different matter. I would hope that my loyalty to the organisation and the project will be enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X