• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring offer to go permie...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring offer to go permie...

I had a discussion quite recently about the perspective of going permie (The client throws the offer "in the future we prefer blah blah"). What I don't understand is why the client thinks they are making a better deal by offering lets say 50K + car + bens taking into account holiday and sick leave etc. OK from a contractor point of view it's the net amount that sucks, but the company will pay in terms of daily rate more than the simple salary pro rata (holidays + sick leave count towards pay so the actual working days are a lot less than contractor for the same amount). Add to this the potential agency "finding fee" (10K - 15K up-front) if you go permie and I don't see the point if you are let’s say on 300/day and the agency is billing the client 350/day...
    It's not only the money...I personally hate employment and employment relationships; the only reason for a client to request you to go permie on a long contract at the rate stated above (e.g. 6 months renewals total 2 years) would be to have a sense of "stability". Am I missing something?
    The rest is silence...

Originally posted by Viktor
    Am I missing something?
    Possibly the few grand paid to the employee through the firms "recruit a friend" campaign ??

Comment

Maybe to his son who used to be agent...

Comment

Stating the obvious, but it's probably going to be cheaper for them to have you as a permie (which they can make redundant if they need to) than have you as a long term contractor, especially if they have negotiated deals on the various emp benefits to make it cheaper for them. It may also be to do with budgets, although that traditionally has gone in favour of the contractor.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
          Possibly the few grand paid to the employee through the firms "recruit a friend" campaign ??
          Yes but this doesn't apply when there is an agency involved...in which case 15K goes pronto to those "professional recruiters"...
          The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
            Yes but this doesn't apply when there is an agency involved...in which case 15K goes pronto to those "professional recruiters"...
            Did in my case.

Comment

Working...
            X