• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh and Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wettowel View Post
    could you possibly answer the questions I posted in my original post? that would be really helpful!
    I could possibly, but my answers may not be worth much. I don't use agents and I don't live in Edinburgh, just spent some time there in the past.

A lot of people live across the bridge in Dunfermline. Closer than Stirling. Cheaper than Edinburgh, pretty reasonable place. Maybe 20 minutes by train to Waverley Station? I'm guessing -- check Scotrail. Princes Street Gardens would be a nice place for your kid to walk her mum. (What is this, mumsnet?) Wherever you are in Edinburgh, you probably aren't more than 20-30 minutes drive from legitimate countryside.

Haddington is outside to the south, easy commute. You could go out towards North Berwick, I think the train stops at Dunbar or somewhere around there so would be easy to get into the city.

A lot of people commute in from Livingston / Bathgate. That has the advantage of not having to go across the bridge, so if it collapses before the new one is finished you'd still be able to get into Edinburgh for work.

Dundee is the pits, but you might get work there in the games sector. Perth is a nice place to live and not far from Dundee if you get contracts there. It's not a close commute to Edinburgh, but it wouldn't be bad if you are used to London commutes.

Maybe you want to look at Scotrail, see where the trains stop, and how long it takes to get to Waverley Station. You could also drive to the Gyle and take the tram in everyday, if you are Loanhead or something out that direction. The tram isn't fast, but it is easy.

Edinburgh does not have a reputation as the friendliest place. I concur. But you can get past that if you are patient and not pushy. I liked it there, and wouldn't hesitate to go back. If I were staying in Edinburgh itself, I might be looking at Fairmilehead -- right on the edge next to the Pentlands, so you can go hillwalking, nice enough area without being too expensive, but close for commuting. Little different from Loanhead, actually, though probably more expensive.

If I had kids at home, I don't think I'd want to live right in the centre of Edinburgh.

Comment

You say schools are good in Edinburgh? Some are better than others. State schools are overcrowded and in dilapidated buildings. Some new ones being built. Many people go private for secondary (I think often quoted as 25% of secondary age children). Check the catchment areas on the council website. I think ESPC allows property searches by catchment area now also.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        If you don't drive, then your options are limited. I am precisely 6.5 miles from SWMBO's workplace in the centre of town; it would take three buses and over an hour to get there. While the idiot council is determined to make Bristol car free, it has done nothing to offer alternatives. The bus routes are mostly radial and basically useless outside the centre of town. You can only get taxis from defined ranks (legally, at least). The Park and Rides now close at 18:00, so anyone with half a serious job can't use them. The city is supposedly the most cycle-friendly in the country; sadly nobody has told the planners or the other road users that yet.

Finally I don't know about Edinburgh, but Bristol doesn't have a single location for its main employers; they are scattered randomly across the whole city. OK if you're a permie and can locate either close to work or along a suitable bus route, hopeless otherwise.
        I used the P&R at Brislington last week & it was still open at 7pm.

That said, it didn't buy me much because the bus lanes don't seem to start until you get down towards Arnos Vale so I was sat in a jam just as I would have been had I used my car.

Regarding bicycle lanes - I see that they've sandwiched one in between the bus lane & outer lane on the A37 but as a result the outer lane is now a couple of feet narrower.

Wonder how many cyclist casualties there will have to be before they scrap that one?

Comment

Stirling might be your best option; it's a nice place to live in if you have a family and houses are way cheaper than in Edinburgh. There's a tiny castle and it's close to big lakes and a national park. For you as a contractor it could be great too; it's close to Edinburgh AND Glasgow, which expands your professional options a lot. Also, if you're willing to commute for a bit longer, you might find work in Dundee, as someone has already pointed out.

More or less the same story if you decide to be based in East Lothian. Haddington, Dunbar, North Berwick...they're all small and quiet towns and very family friendly. The last two have nice beaches that your lady and the kids might enjoy and they have a train station, which is good because if you're willing to commute for 2 hours, you could also work in Newcastle.

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
            Where the hell is this flat within walking distance of the airport?

Mind you I suppose anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.
            Butcombe Court, BS40 5TR (Was an old coaching house) Took 30 mins to walk.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

[QUOTE=MattZani;2120977]Stirling might be your best option; it's a nice place to live in if you have a family and houses are way cheaper than in Edinburgh. There's a tiny castle and it's close to big lakes and a national park. For you as a contractor it could be great too; it's close to Edinburgh AND Glasgow, which expands your professional options a lot. Also, if you're willing to commute for a bit longer, you might find work in Dundee, as someone has already pointed out.

I live in Stirling and work in Edinburgh..... the express train isn't bad and you always get a seat and as you pointed out the cost of houses is alot cheaper :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                Butcombe Court, BS40 5TR (Was an old coaching house) Took 30 mins to walk.
                Ahh, over Winford way. Don't really know that area which is why it didn't register.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

thanks guys for all the replies! certainly helps to paint a fuller picture.

can anyone tell me a bit more about the freelance market? is it quitter than london or the roughly same?

cheers!

Comment

[QUOTE=rich2476;2121149]
                    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                    Stirling might be your best option; it's a nice place to live in if you have a family and houses are way cheaper than in Edinburgh. There's a tiny castle and it's close to big lakes and a national park. For you as a contractor it could be great too; it's close to Edinburgh AND Glasgow, which expands your professional options a lot. Also, if you're willing to commute for a bit longer, you might find work in Dundee, as someone has already pointed out.

I live in Stirling and work in Edinburgh..... the express train isn't bad and you always get a seat and as you pointed out the cost of houses is alot cheaper :-)
                    I would echo that, the Stirling area is a good place. As mentioned it is close to Edinburgh & Glasgow (you don't want to do a Glasgow to Edinburgh or vice a versa commute) so makes more roles attractive to you. Not forgetting that Prudential is Stirling based so you could get a role there, and HSBC has a small (but apparently now crowded) office in Stirling. Plus Perth occasionally has some roles.

Plus it is practically in the Trossachs so nice and scenic.

Comment

Not too important but given someone mentioned the reputation of Bristol's parking wardens, let us not forget Edinburgh's achievements.

Ticket given to an Ambulance

Ticket given to a hearse

Comment

Working...
                      X