• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help, Some advice needed...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, Some advice needed...

Hi,

Can anyone advise me?

I went for an interview today. I was told that I would have to wait a day for feedback.

I got home and checked my messages, to find a message to call my agency immediately. I called expecting just to give my feedback - but they said I have been offered the contract (6 months).

Foolish I agreed on the spot that I would accept (I guess I felt bullied on the phone).

However, I am now having second thoughts. My reservation is that the travelling (1.5 tube journey) + rate (sub london rates) do not make this a worthwhile venture, also I am not going to be picking up any new skills. Contract would start in 2 weeks from now.

I was only attracted to the role because the client is a huge name.

Is it possible to go back on my word? I haven't signed anything. But chances are the over zealous wet neck on the phone has already told the client.

I have another interview tomorrow morning (a permie role that will pay more)

So can I go back on my word?

Tara

Yes, and the sooner the better. The agent will have told the client, but the client won't have done anything about it yet. As long as you call first thing in the morning and stick to your guns without being specific you can get through it without loss of face.

Comment

Hi Thunderlizard,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I have to attend the permie role interview first in the morning.

Oh god, I really screwed this up.

To be honest I am not cut out for this contracting lark. Far to indecisive.

Tara.

Comment

Until you've signed something it's not set in stone. You can tell them to b*gger off at any time. In most contracts that are rushed, you don't usually get proper completion on the contract until a week after starting.

Only problem is that you may lose a contact and contacts are a valuable commodity.

Then again, I've p*ssed off nearly every city agent now and I'm still getting contract offers left right and centre.

Don't give up - contracting is a steep learning curve but once you get stuck in, things will seem so much better.

Ironically, I've just been offered a permanent role with the company I'm contracting for which is nice and the money is rather tasty, but I don't like the idea of losing control of my life again.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Tell them you have been offered another role at £150 per day more. Match it, or you sign elsewhere.

hth.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
            Tell them you have been offered another role at £150 per day more. Match it, or you sign elsewhere.

hth.
            Just make sure it's not an S-Three agency first or you'll lose it straight away!

Comment

Hi TheMonkey,

Thank you for your advice. Its good to know, that other people have the balls to tell agencies to bugger off!

The real killer for me is the travelling. A lousy rate I can handle, but 3 hour journey max for 6 months maybe the death of me (On the other hand, I what if I don't find anything!?).

I think I am going to sleep on it.

Tara

Comment

That seems like a good idea, I might try that MF.

It's not an S3 agency, TheMonkey - although they are quite big in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara
                  Hi TheMonkey,

Thank you for your advice. Its good to know, that other people have the balls to tell agencies to bugger off!

The real killer for me is the travelling. A lousy rate I can handle, but 3 hour journey max for 6 months maybe the death of me (On the other hand, I what if I don't find anything!?).

I think I am going to sleep on it.

Tara
                  You don't want to travel too much. I used to travel from Leyton -> Stratford -> Gunnersbury -> Hammersmith every day for a long time for pissy cash and it nearly killed me (ended up in hospital twice with IBS and CFS). I'm now doing a 20 min drive from home which is bliss as i'm heading out of the city.

I went unemployed on the contract side of things for about 3 months this year. There's plenty of OTHER work to do to make some cash if you know where to look. Depends what part of the industry you're in. I spent a month installing PCs in East London NHS surgeries for about £140/day and knocking out crap web sites for people.

PS don't negotiate if it's GCS as well - they tell you to naff off.

Comment

Leyton -> Stratford -> Gunnersbury -> Hammersmith every day

How long did that take?

Comment

Working...
                    X