• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting from home

Is it realistic to try and pick up small contracts for homeworking?

Main areas of expertise are:

GIS (MapInfo)
    Microsoft Access Development
    Data Management

I'm trying to start my own business, but grow it from small as with family its difficult to make a total break from paid employment straight away.

Thanks

It is possible but they are hard to find. Try approaching companies you know who use the skills directly. Best of Luck.

Comment

There are websites around that allow you to find small freelance projects. I have never used them though so I couldn't recommend one. You could also try getting small scale work through small business networking clubs or breakfast meetings like the FSB run, although this would mean getting out and about a bit. Also ask BusinessLink.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
        There are websites around that allow you to find small freelance projects. I have never used them though so I couldn't recommend one.
        Yes mostly people wanting 3 months work for $500 IIRC.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Contracting from home.

I've been working from home for years and it's because I have found small businesses that need someone to create IT systems but who couldn't have afforded to go to anyone who drives an Aston Martin. I have no contract in place and the trusting relationship becomes the basis of how things work. To do this you need to get out there and find these clients yourself. After years of this way of life my main client has grown the IT side of the business and they now employ several permies which means that my role is about to dry up so after not having had to wear a suit for years, not having to have commuted, getting out of bed whenever I fancy, moving to the countryside and living life just as I fancy it is now time for me to find another way! If you choose this path then you'll find it very hard to go back to the treadmill and will wince at the very idea. I will need to find another client or to join the rat race once again. The idea of having to deal with agencies again sends shudders down my spine and I'll do everything that I can to avoid that situation.

Comment

crickey davebarkshire that sounds almost exactly the same as me. I have had one main client for the last 6 years. I have worked from home for that time, and for 4 or 5 years of that I even employed someone to work with me. This main client took 90%+ of our joint time for much of the 6 years. I picked up some other small business at various times, but nothing to shout about.

Over the past 6 months, it's started to get less and less, and small local businesses just don't want to pay anything near a useful rate, so I am also jumping back into the contracting life. Start next month in fact.

What I'm *hoping* is that I can retain at least some of the other work for evenings etc. and therefore keep an extra revenue stream coming in.

Comment

Forgot to add - agencies just can't grasp the concept of having carried out direct work. I had to keep explaining it to them.

Comment

Working...
              X