• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requests weekend work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's like a poker bluff. Ok if it works but could be very damaging if someone catches you out!!
    Easy enough to explain - "the idiot I spoke to at Dodgy Insurers got it wrong. I won't be using them next year etc. etc."
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
      Fair point about the travel expenses. Its only £22.

Would I be happy if I just got one standard day? Probably not but if I say no its going to go down like a lead balloon. If they pay me 1.5 days then I'd forget the expenses.

But that's the point - no-ones said yet what the deal is.

In terms of contract, PWD with minimum of 7.5 hours per day. No extra for more but less pro-rata for less than 7.5 hours. No difference for weekend work or restriction to mon-fri. Base is listed as normal site - no mention of other site.

So I guess strictly speaking its one PWD then with no extra?

Must admit in the past other clients asked me to work 12 hours and agreed to pay 1.5 daily rate.
      Who's fault is that? You need to check what the contract says and if it covers the situation, abide by it. If it does not, then you need to discuss it with the client and if necessary (unlikely that it will be) get an amendment to the schedule.

In any event, you need to resolve it with the person who holds the budget. If someone else in the pipeline is 'a bit off with you' then brush it off. Unless they are also the budget holder, you do not even need to discuss it with them.

Some clients up front are happy with 1.5 for weekend hours, some are not. Clearly your client is not one of those so you will have to get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        Who's fault is that? You need to check what the contract says and if it covers the situation, abide by it. If it does not, then you need to discuss it with the client and if necessary (unlikely that it will be) get an amendment to the schedule.

In any event, you need to resolve it with the person who holds the budget. If someone else in the pipeline is 'a bit off with you' then brush it off. Unless they are also the budget holder, you do not even need to discuss it with them.

Some clients up front are happy with 1.5 for weekend hours, some are not. Clearly your client is not one of those so you will have to get used to it.
        This is absolutely true, but the reality is often that the PM (or whomever is requesting it) has either long since forgotten you are a contractor or assumes you'll bend over and do it for free like a permie does.

I'd go so far as to say most times that's the type of annoying conversation that ends up being had.

Comment

In terms of contract, I'm on Professional Day with minimum 7.5 hours with no extra if its more but they knock off hours pro rata if its less. (Not cool).

...and you signed it
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            This is absolutely true, but the reality is often that the PM (or whomever is requesting it) has either long since forgotten you are a contractor or assumes you'll bend over and do it for free like a permie does.

I'd go so far as to say most times that's the type of annoying conversation that ends up being had.
            True but my post above is a little misleading in that of course, the contract is with the agent so they should be first port of call in authorising any additional expenditure. OP should understand what the actual requirement (and any departures from the contract/schedule) which it appears that they have done, then should make the agency actually do some work in maintaining and developing the relationship. If the agent is out of the loop it becomes dangerous because the OP may do work/incur expenses that are not covered and the agent then says 'not authorised!'

So OP, go to the agent and discuss it with them, it is up to them to square it with the client.

Comment

In terms of contract, I'm on Professional Day with minimum 7.5 hours with no extra if its more but they knock off hours pro rata if its less. (Not cool).
              How does that even happen? When I've had a timesheet system where I've had to indicate how many hours I've worked (even though on a day rate), I ALWAYS put in whatever the contract says - 7.5/ 8 hours per day. Regardless of whether I worked 6 or 10.

Does your timesheet authoriser alter yours or are you putting in less?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

Happy with flat rate just not so happy working 12 hours as a PWD.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                  How does that even happen? When I've had a timesheet system where I've had to indicate how many hours I've worked (even though on a day rate), I ALWAYS put in whatever the contract says - 7.5/ 8 hours per day. Regardless of whether I worked 6 or 10.

Does your timesheet authoriser alter yours or are you putting in less?
                  I put in 7.5 regardless even if its 7 one day and 8 the next just in case someone knocks off 1/2 hour one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    ...and you signed it
                    Yep not clever I know.

Comment

I put in 7.5 regardless even if its 7 one day and 8 the next just in case someone knocks off 1/2 hour one day!
                      Who's knocking half an hour off? I don't understand.

Are you saying that whoever signs your timesheet is coming over and saying "Oi! You left at 4 on Thursday.".

I think I would

a. tell them to shove the weekend.

and

b. look for something outside of Nazi Germany.

Comment

Working...
                      X