• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

YourCo website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YourCo website

Not sure whether to post this here or in Technical, but here goes:

I have hosting for my personal site, and my hosting contract allows me to set up different sites under different domains. So I bought a domain for my business and set up a site using MediaWiki - the idea being that I'd have a front-facing page with company blurb etc and when I log in I'd be able to add snippets of code and information for my own reference later. I've thought about using some online cloud storage thing but can't guarantee I'd have access to it from any future client's site.

The site I've got contains the info I want it to have, but since it's just a wiki it looks plain and boring.

Do you have a website for your business, and if so what have you put on it?
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
    Yes.

Homepage / about - company details, list of clients, services offered
    Services - more detail about what I do
    Blog
    Link to my forum
    Contact us form

If you have a hosted site, why would you need any cloud storage - can't you just put the files on your site? That's what I do for the documents and code samples that I want to make available.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
      Not sure whether to post this here or in Technical, but here goes:

I have hosting for my personal site, and my hosting contract allows me to set up different sites under different domains. So I bought a domain for my business and set up a site using MediaWiki - the idea being that I'd have a front-facing page with company blurb etc and when I log in I'd be able to add snippets of code and information for my own reference later. I've thought about using some online cloud storage thing but can't guarantee I'd have access to it from any future client's site.

The site I've got contains the info I want it to have, but since it's just a wiki it looks plain and boring.

If it is for your own storage and reference, what does it matter what it looks like?

If it is for client facing purposes, why would you want to store code there?

I think you need to revisit your requirements before spending any time/money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Yes.

Homepage / about - company details, list of clients, services offered
        Services - more detail about what I do
        Blog
        Link to my forum
        Contact us form

If you have a hosted site, why would you need any cloud storage - can't you just put the files on your site? That's what I do for the documents and code samples that I want to make available.
        But make sure they are in seperate directories that require authentication to access, esp if they contain any prior customer data/code or anything that is your copyright work (or for that matter anyone else's copyright work )

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
          If it is for client facing purposes, why would you want to store code there?
          I have code snippets on mine, because I (used to) blog about interesting things I'd found. Most of it was just for my reference (things I'd forget but sometimes need to know), but some clients are impressed when you say "have a look on my website and there's something I wrote about XYZ"

Examples of how good you are (providing you are good, of course!) don't hurt. I was asked once by a colleague why I put code samples on their because I might do myself out of a job. The answer is that if all it takes to solve the problem is a little bit of code that I think so little of I'll give it away, it's probably not the kind of role I want anyway.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            But make sure they are in seperate directories that require authentication to access, esp if they contain any prior customer data/code or anything that is your copyright work (or for that matter anyone else's copyright work )
            The code samples aren't public-facing, they're just for my own benefit. Once I work something out (or find a good answer online) I create a self-contained version of it that works as a stand-alone code/query/etc, so there's nothing that specifically relates to any companies I've worked from in the past.

It may be that Mediawiki isn't be best platform for the job, I set the site up using that partly because I wanted to learn more about how MediaWiki works and is put together, and partly because I thought "why not?"
            • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
            • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

If it's just a general informative site to give your company an online presence (about us / skillset / services / contact us etc) then why not just use some hand-coded HTML?

It's all I've done for ours and it does the job.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

My Google for work subscription comes with Google Sites.
                I just wacked something together and published.
                MyCo's website has been useful on one occasion when I needed to open a business money exchange account. The forex company would only deal with "businesses" if they had a website. Yeah, weird but true.
                Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Working...
                X