• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping ship?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Dallas;2045067]
    Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
    To be honest I'm not sure what my notice period is QUOTE]

is today sockie day or is this place turning into muppet central?
    Does it actually matter that my notice period isn't committed to memory? If I want to leave then I'll dig out the contract and have a look, and if they want to end my contract early then so be it, but I'll also dig out the contract to have a look. I would imagine, though, that they have no obligation to pay me for any longer than they need me and I accept that. Where's the problem?
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

depends on your existing relationship ...

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
      How often is this done? I'm currently in a contract which started last August and has been extended a few times, running to the end of March at least. I still keep an eye on the jobs and opportunities out there, however I feel that as I'm still pretty new to contracting (this is my second year) building up a reputation for being a man of his word and getting the job done is more important than going where the cash is.

I'm happy where I am, but if you were to see a contract advertised that paid, say, twice what you're on now, would you apply for it or stick out your current contract to the end?

If you have a good relationship with current company, suggest you've seen an interesting role advertised you fancy. they may enter a discussion to increase your rate. allow you to explore the option without making a commitment. even suggest coming back at some time in the future. they would at least make it clear what your prospects were if you stayed in place.

Its an advantage of contracting/perm (different mind set), don't upset the clients as this has a tendency to come back and bite you in the rear in the future its surprising who knows who in this industry.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Getting here got tougher, I had an accident in November, wrote my car off and can't drive just now, so getting lift to train station, train, shuttle bus is my commute now.

So giving serious consideration to handing in my notice.
        Hire a chauffeur (Taxi contract) its a legitimate business expense you can Claim for, there are a few that advertise on line.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          If you'd been contracting for say 5 years, Id have no hesitation in saying look after number one first and, if you see a better paid role elsewhere go for it.
          Even so, I would also say this, there's no guarantee you'd quickly get another better paying role. Dont make it a habit of taking a role then quickly dumping it for a better one.
          As my old grandpa used to say, "You can be one of those people moaning about contractors earning a fortune by dumping gigs for higher paying ones, or you can be one of those people earning a fortune by dumping gigs for higher paying ones!"

Comment

[QUOTE=DannyF1966;2045093]
            Originally posted by Dallas View Post

Does it actually matter that my notice period isn't committed to memory? If I want to leave then I'll dig out the contract and have a look, and if they want to end my contract early then so be it, but I'll also dig out the contract to have a look. I would imagine, though, that they have no obligation to pay me for any longer than they need me and I accept that. Where's the problem?
            Welcome to CUK mate. The regular users love to think they can 'out' sockies. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Working...
            X