• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract failed review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract failed review

Hello one and all. I have a serious question, hence I'm back on CUK and making a post here. So, to business...

This week I have had a contract fail a review on multiple counts. Some items are incidental and the corresponding clauses will be amended by the agency. Other, more chunky changes, are being resisted by the agency.

I have all of my contracts reviewed and have been doing such for many years. I have never had a situation where more than a reasonably minor change or two was enough to get the contract 'right' and let's be honest, getting the wording sorted in a contract these days is (usually) the easiest thing. So this situation is a first-time one for me (8 years of contracting).

With all of this being the case, my stance is not to sign. I'm less concerned about the specific clauses as I respect the opinion of the firm I use and if they are flagging clauses that fail the most basic of tests, then they should be changed.

I'm of the view that I have had a contract fail a review and the agency will not address all of the points, leaving me no choice but to give it a miss.

Has anyone had experience of this?
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Welcome Back!

I had one fail earlier this year after a review, agency wouldn't budge so I paid for B&C to re-review it and talk direct with the agency...

Agency folded straight off as soon as B&C got involved and made the changes...

Sometimes, its who negotiates and why that makes the difference...

Of course, I made sure my working practises are all in order

If its still a case of no dice, then walk away, better for you in the grand scheme of things tbh

YMMV
    Join IPSE

Comment

You could declare this one inside IR35 and pay the tax and NI due - possibly even include a rate hike to cover this?

Or you could NOT declare yourself inside IR35, put the money to one side and hope that you aren't investigated - if you are, you have the money to pay for it; if not, you pocket the cash.

If the working practices are different from the contract, then there's always a chance that you could still fight an IR35 investigation and win, but it's harder if the paper contract supports HMRC's view and not yours.

If you don't need the work, then I'd be inclined to walk away if it was me, though.

(And a belated happy birthday since you're back)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
        With all of this being the case, my stance is not to sign. I'm less concerned about the specific clauses as I respect the opinion of the firm I use and if they are flagging clauses that fail the most basic of tests, then they should be changed.

I'm of the view that I have had a contract fail a review and the agency will not address all of the points, leaving me no choice but to give it a miss.

I have had this myself and it's down to brinkmanship. If you decide one or more clauses are show stoppers then you have to negotiate from that position and be totally prepared to walk away. Lot easier to say than to do of course if you want the contract.
        There's no real option if you respect the reviewers work.

Welcome back btw, nice to see you're still around

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
          Hello one and all. I have a serious question, hence I'm back on CUK and making a post here. So, to business...

This week I have had a contract fail a review on multiple counts. Some items are incidental and the corresponding clauses will be amended by the agency. Other, more chunky changes, are being resisted by the agency.

I have all of my contracts reviewed and have been doing such for many years. I have never had a situation where more than a reasonably minor change or two was enough to get the contract 'right' and let's be honest, getting the wording sorted in a contract these days is (usually) the easiest thing. So this situation is a first-time one for me (8 years of contracting).

If you are confident something else will come along (and any contract clauses can be amended) then by all means walk and make it clear to the agency why. Im not sure speaking with the client about it is worthwhile, they'll just see you as an arsey contractor at best and a tax dodger at worst.

But dont fall into the trap of thinking by getting a few clauses re worded that you are home free re IR35. As we all know, its also the actual working practices that are more important.

Also, even an IR35 bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

What I don't get is, what are these legal companies saying to get clients/agencies to change contracts? "Do it or I'll get my dad on you"?
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              What I don't get is, what are these legal companies saying to get clients/agencies to change contracts? "Do it or I'll get my dad on you"?
              Sometimes it isn't the message, but the messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Good question.
                It's not possible these guys are such smooth talkers.
                Must be some legal point that could be used against an agency if a contractor is found to be within ir35.
                Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I would never turn away work over IR35. As others have said, put the money to one side and keep invoicing.

Comment

I had a review fail on several counts a couple of months back, went back/forth to the agent to get it resolved. They wouldn't budge.
                    qdos and the agent had quite lengthy discussion about it but it couldn't be resolved.

I walked away and took an short extension at current clientco

Comment

Working...
                    X