• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Norway - 4 Months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Norway - 4 Months

Hi

I am in process of securing a contract in Oslo.

The client pays per diem for my expenses and pays my travel expenses as well.

I am sure that I will be paid only in EUROS>

Please tell me whether I should go via umberlla company in norway or can i just bill my client using UK limited company.

Somewhere in the forum i read if project is less than 6 months, you can bill and pay tax using UK ltd, but I do have my doubts on this.

Regards
    SilentBull

Why would they pay in Euros, the currency they have to pay you in is NOK

Comment

Norway is very complicated. However if you do everything right then you should be able to use your comoany for said assignment.

The only person who I would trust with knowing Norway is Sue and her team at I-PAYE.
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Sorry i missed this!

Its a late I know, and I'm sorry, I didn't see this sooner.

I don't know if you decided to continue with the role or not, but I thought a brief response was in order.

The 183 day rule is based on more than how long you are in the country for. The Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) looks to the Economic Employer.

Economic employer basically is the entity who ultimately pays for your services and / or benefits from the work. Therefore this would not be your own Ltd Co or any agency. It is the end client. If the end client has a permanent establishment in Norway (as defined in the DTA) then the 183 day rule is failed as you are receiving monies on behalf of a resident entity.

Whilst you may use your Ltd Co in Norway you would need to register as an employer there, with all of the faff that goes with that. Your salary is taxable in Norway and ultimately, so are any dividends you receive in the UK. The problems arise here because you have no protection under the DTA where you income was always taxable in Norway first. The company itself will become liable for Norwegian CT at 27%.

In addition there is social security to consider. You pay this where you work, (and it is expensive in Norway) unless you gain an A1 Certificate to continue paying your NI contributions in the UK. It is difficult (although not impossible) for a single person UK Ltd CO to obtain an A1 Certificate for its only employee and there are tests on continuing UK presence.

I realise all this may be moot now, so haven't gone into too much detail, there are further issues to consider, and happy to help if you need any further information.

Merry Christmas!

And thank you Andy

Comment

Working...
        X