• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies - is there a better way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I guess the initial instinct is if there were no agents, I'd get paid more, the client would pay less.

In reality, a large percentage of clients use agents for very good reasons, regardless of what we think of them.
    And they do have their upsides for contractors too; in terms of getting paid on time, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Does it really matter weather you go direct or via an agency, so long as you are happy with the rate? I like using agencies as I have good relationships with a couple and they find me some nice work. Good clients, and they always keep my rate where I want it.

Even when I take 6 months off, i contact them and within a week I'm interviewing
      Have you tried not opting out with an agency who insists on you opting out? You don't have that if you are direct.
      Last edited by TheFaQQer; 11 December 2014, 10:43. Reason: In out mix-up
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        And they do have their upsides for contractors too; in terms of getting paid on time, for example.
        absolutely!

A lot of newbie contractors don't see this though and just the agent as taking a slice of money that "should" be theirs!

Here's a strange one while we're talking about agents costing us and clients money.....

With my current contract, I asked for £x per day (which would have been my highest ever rate), agent said, "hmm, I think we can get you £X+£50.

So they definitely cost their client money, while making me more money than I asked for

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          absolutely!

A lot of newbie contractors don't see this though and just the agent as taking a slice of money that "should" be theirs!

Here's a strange one while we're talking about agents costing us and clients money.....

With my current contract, I asked for £x per day (which would have been my highest ever rate), agent said, "hmm, I think we can get you £X+£50.

So they definitely cost their client money, while making me more money than I asked for

But for every one of those there's the "Sorry, just got off the phone to the client, there's no movement on rate."

Pimpspeak: I've not contacted the client I have just went and made a tea then called you back and tried to fleece you for more wonga."

Yes it's a game and you get better with practice.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
          X